Which Glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Primates

I'm going to make a lazy Susan for the garden table. All very simple, just disk of Iroko sitting on top of a lazy Susan bearing available from Axminster. However, it going to get wet very often so which glue?

Is water proof PVA or Tight Bond 3 really waterproof? Or do I need to go for one of those foaming glues such as Gorilla?

Ta. Jon

I'd recommend cascamite, which is suitable for marine applications so it should stand up well to it getting wet.

Second that, Cascamite but I've had problems gluing Iroko before so make sure to rub the gluing surface down with either acetone, oven cleaner or nail polish remover.

Anthony

Try Polyproof from the same firm. A two-part, recorcinol glue. Totally waterproof and good with oily woods. The rather dark colour will not be a problem with iroko. Only downside is it is a bit expensive but I have found it very reliable.

John

Actually, I can vouch for that too. I've used Polyproof to glue Ipe, which is often used as a replacement for Teak, for longbow laminates. So it definitely glues oily woods well as the laminates in longbows are under extreme tension.

Anthony

If you can't be faffed with mixing a urea formaldehyde glue, TB III is also water resistant. It should also be noted that although Cascamite is recommended for marine applications, I seem to recollect somewhere that it's very highly water resistant but not suitable for permanent immersion in water... :duno: happy to be proved wrong.
For the OP's project, Cascamite would be fine - Rob

I'm with Rob, Cascamite is not for use on boats below the waterline or where it will be immersed for long periods. Any of the glues mentioned here will probably be ok but personally I'd use a PU if the bottle I had on the shelf hasn't gone off.

Oryxdesign":et2zyviz said:
I'm with Rob, Cascamite is not for use on boats below the waterline or where it will be immersed for long periods. Any of the glues mentioned here will probably be ok but personally I'd use a PU if the bottle I had on the shelf hasn't gone off.

Yebbut - is a Lazy Susan likely to be permanently underwater in Woking? My only issue with Cascamite is that it can be a bit brittle, especially if it is spread too thickly - but should stand the occasional twirl in this environment

I would use an epoxy resin for all projects that are to be outside permanently, or a PU as others have mentioned. Keith Smith has done a long term test on most of the glues mentioned, here's an overveiw, it makes interesting reading on some of the so called waterproof glues mentioned.

Epoxy would be good but expensive to buy if you are only going to use it for this little job. Don't forget epoxies arent uv proof and do degrade in sunlight, not a problem when using as a glue though.

RogerM":3a1eojxd said:
Yebbut - is a Lazy Susan likely to be permanently underwater in Woking? My only issue with Cascamite is that it can be a bit brittle, especially if it is spread too thickly - but should stand the occasional twirl in this environment
Agreed Rog, that's why I mentioned that Cascamite would be fine. It shouldn't also be mixed too thickly (a common mistake) but should just drip of the end of the mixing stick in a smooth flow. I never use the stuff now 'cos it sets glass hard when properly cured and has no 'give', which is why I much prefer to use a decent water resistant PVA or TB III - Rob

Thanks Guys. Good advice.

I'll post, what may possibly be the most boing ever, WIP pictures when I'm done.

Jon

Latest posts

Back