Which dovetail router jig ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a decent dovetail router jig, but I'm not quite sure what to go for. I know this has been discussed before, but not very recently, so any new opinions are most welcome.
Please note; this about router jigs, not if it's better to hand cut them, so please don't post the 'just use hand tools' cliché again.

I don't want a fixed pitch jig, I've used one before and didn't like the jig limitations imposing on design.

The choice pretty much comes down to Leigh or Trend. I looked at the Woodrat, but I really can't see it being able to fit it into my working space.

Having read through reviews the Trend jig looks interesting and good value, but the requirement to use different cutters to refine the fit of the parts seems pretty onerous. I wonder how much of a problem this is in real usage ?

The gold standard seems to be the Leigh D4R. Are the cheaper super jigs really too much of a compromise ? If you've owned a super jig, did you go out and upgrade to the D4 soon after ?
Finally; Is the VRS kit as good and necessary as some people say ?

Thanks

Paul

is there no way of fitting the woodrat in? I ask, because it has many uses besides dovetails. I havent used mine for dovetailing, but having seen examples, you really can get the hand cut look using it.

I have and use a lot the trend dc400 and while i have the over and undersize straight bits i've never used them to refine the fit.
I can wholeheartedly reccomend this jig for dovetails through and lapped and box joints

Ian

flh801978":1r222cvg said:
I have and use a lot the trend dc400 and while i have the over and undersize straight bits i've never used them to refine the fit.
I can wholeheartedly reccomend this jig for dovetails through and lapped and box joints

Ian

just a thought but why not try this ;-) you can cut a lot bigger dovetails than any shop bought jig ! and he has many other designs you can use. very cheap to for what you get. http://woodgears.ca/dovetail/plans/index.html

this guy is a legend ! take a look at his website and enjoy !

is the challenge of most jigs not being able to cut the finest of dovetails?

Hi, we have the leigh d4 which is about 6 years old. its used to make top quality drawers for our kitchens mainly in oak. it seems a little complicated initially but includes a dvd and instructions which are really clear. once you've used to the jig a few times its really quick and easy to use. Its great when you want to cuts dovetails quickly but dont want them to look machine made with the same size pins and tails.

i've not used the trend but can highly recommend the leigh.

flh801978":38kjqkf5 said:
I can wholeheartedly recommend this jig for dovetails through and lapped and box joints
Thanks Ian, useful information. I went back to the Trend site to day to look further and found that it's just been discontinued, I guess that might mean there'll be some bargains around soon, but it also may mean be that spares become difficult to source.

the beast":38kjqkf5 said:
just a thought but why not try this ? you can cut a lot bigger dovetails than any shop bought jig !
Well firstly it's not a router jig. Second an unguarded table saw ? no thanks and thirdly it doesn't look much quicker than doing them by hand anyway.

murdoch":38kjqkf5 said:
Hi, we have the leigh d4 which is about 6 years old......Its great when you want to cuts dovetails quickly but dont want them to look machine made with the same size pins and tails.
Thanks.

Back