Which chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a new chuck to go with the new lathe (not decided which model lathe to go with yet) and I have found myself looking at both the Axminster clubman (100mm) and the record g3.

Both of these come in sets at roughly the same price (120 for the axi and 110 for the record), the record seems to come with more equipment for my money, but the Axminster seems to be cheaper in the long run for jaws etc.

I currently have a record nova chuck and it is good although a touch on the heavy side, I have not used the axminster but surely there can't me much in terms of performance between them?

I would like some opinions on these if possible guys, both good and bad, don't be afraid :)

Cheers

Adam

I have several Axminster chuck and I am very happy with them, a range of sizes depending on your needs and a good range of jaws and it is made in the UK. But dont get the 80mm one as it very limited jaws available for it.

john

Heavy is good!!! I have the axy one and the sorby patriot. The sorby is better by far. To be fair there is not much between the patriot and the nova, I have used a friends and it is nice. The axy ones threads are nowhere near as good as the other two and the chuck key set up is not as tidy. I would say sorby

If you have a Nova chuck with a variety of jaws, then I would go for the Sorby Patriot chuck as it takes the same jaws. You can even buy the Sorby ComPatriot chuck which comes without any jaws at all (for about £85 if you search the internet) and use the jaws you already have.

I have a Super Nova (old type) and a Sorby Patriot. I get on well with both.

I had the Axi. K10 with o'Donnell jaws which I thought was brilliant ,especially on work that may have more than one chucking size. I had a couple of Supernova 11 s for any heavy work .
If I were buying a chuck today I would buy the new Axi. from the reports I have read.

Back