Which Chuck should I get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,to all, I am in the process of buying a Chuck there are three on Ebay the Axminster K10 the new Sorby Patriot and a Versa Chuck.
Bearing in mind that the Lathe I have is a Draper beginners which one should I go for, advice greatly appreciated Regds Boysie

Wow! I've just searched 'chuck' on ebay and came up with over 1700 items....

The three that you mention are all usable ...when buying a chuck check the cost to adapt to a different spindle thread should you upgrade to another lathe with a different spindle size...

Google for Rutlands... they have an offer on their Dakota chuck (looks just like a Vicmark/Record.

Personally I'd prefer a chuck with enclosed gearing... the Axminster, as far as I know has exposed gearing similar to the supanova... whichever you go for, they're all a pita to strip and clean :wink:

What you need to consider is what you will be using the chuck for; what jaws are available for the chuck to suit that need and as Graham mentioned how easy is it to or what are the options available to change the back plate/insert if you upgrade/change your lathe. On this last point I think you may be limited with some of the chucks you mentioned.

Some chucks have a safety feature such that the carriers of the jaws can't be removed without removing a safety pin - this is so that the carriers are always engaged with the scroll and can't come flying out when the lathe is switched on. This means that if you wish to change jaws you have to unbolt the jaws on the chuck and then bolt on the new jaws. With other chucks they don't have this safety pin and you can purchase extra carriers so that each set of jaws you have are already mounted on the carriers. With these it's less hassle changing jaws.

Be careful of the imported copy chucks that look like the vicmarc some of they are not accurate I have had 3 customers with chucks with a wobble and have to rebore thread my own vicmarc copy.

What ever chuck you buy make sure you get one where you can change the fitting if you change your lathe it may save you money in the future.

Hello, Russell ,Mark and Oldsoke, Thanks fellows for your help.I am new to Turning and any information I get is a bonus. I have saved your posts and thank you again. I checked out Oldsoke's suggestion about Rutlands, and went for it. Their postage rate to Ireland makes a heck of a differance to the overall price, very pleased. Regds. Boysie

Back