I want to buy a chuck (3/4" x 16 tpi)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard6299

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. I realise that I need to buy a chuck for my newly acquired wood lathe, so I can cut off the ends of my work pieces. I'm thinking to buy a 4 jaw independent chuck (1500mm 6") by HSW as sold on Ebay for £71. Any thoughts? Thanks. Rich

Hi Richard
I don't know which chuck you're considering but I would be very careful about buying something possibly a Chiwanese knock off. If that's what it is.

3/4 x 16 is a very common size and lots of choice available and my suggestion is that you would be far better off looking at something like a Record Power SC3 package for which you can easily obtain additional jaws if and when required.

I have a couple of lathes and more than one chuck but have had the SC3 for probably 10 years, you can buy a kit for less than £100 so not too much more for a likely better product. They do come up s/h occasionally so you might even find one on ebay or facebook etc.

Woodturning chucks are normally 4", use a scroll & thus self centre. The jaws are designed to hold wood whereas stepped jaws are for metal which doesn't compress. Stepped jaws can be used but require greater care, lighter cuts & for anything that protrudes more than about 2", tailstock centre support.

Richard
I have a supernova chuck the size you are looking for. I can throw in some 50mm jaws as well. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Don't want independent jaws on wood lathe, especially when just starting out.
A self centring scroll chuck is what you need.

Back