Which brand saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
I woould like to buy both a dovetail saw and a flush-cutting saw (the dovetail saw actually to be used more fore sawing small parts in thin wood and general small work than for dovetail sawing proper)

I hesitate between Veritas (about which I always hear a lot of praise) and Pax (about which I don't seem to hear much, good or not so good). Both companies produce both types of saw.

Which (and why) would you people suggest (prefer...)? Or another brand?

Thanks.

G.

I have the Veritas dovetail saw and for many years I enjoyed using it. It is certainly good value and there's nothing wrong with it. However, I cannot say it is in the same class as the Lie Nielsen saws which I prefer. I like their weight, their balance, the hand grip. I haven't tried a Pax saw. But it sounds as if you would be better suited to a carcass saw than a dovetail saw. It cross-cuts better.

The LN saw is more expensive but not by much. I don't acquire many tools, so I have no concerns about spending a little more to get the tool I really want. When you are only buying one small saw, the price difference is negligible.

For a flush-cut saw, I use a cheap Stanley Fatmax.

mouppe":26xaajq4 said:

You must be kidding! Some time ago I bought one of those in a moment of weakness, after having had to cut a number of dowels. Tried it on a scrap piece, binned it, went back to my old method - cutting with a small hacksaw some 3-4 mm above the surface of the work and paring with a chisel. Troublessome, but clean. Anyway, I want to try a more efficient method.

Thanks
G.

GLFaria":1ztbhtof said:
mouppe":1ztbhtof said:

You must be kidding! Some time ago I bought one of those in a moment of weakness, after having had to cut a number of dowels. Tried it on a scrap piece, binned it, went back to my old method - cutting with a small hacksaw some 3-4 mm above the surface of the work and paring with a chisel. Troublessome, but clean. Anyway, I want to try a more efficient method.

Thanks
G.

No I'm serious! Of course I don't trust it at all and I stick a piece of paper between the saw and the wood but it gets me very close and then I use a chisel or gouge to pare it flush.

I suppose my technique defeats the point of having a flush-cut saw but I never saw the need to spend more than $10 on such a saw.

I happened to use the veritas saw a few weeks ago and it was very nice though.

Latest posts

Back