Which band saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spindle":vl0hiavp said:
tom_wales":vl0hiavp said:
Could I get a 300mm table saw and cut the planks in half with that, 4" one way, then turned over and the other 4" cut to give me 8" boards?

You could but a better course of action would be to rip them into 8" boards with your circular saw, (assuming it will cut that depth, and then to re-saw on a band saw - and then finish in a planer / thicknesser

It's not an easy choice and will depend on you future requirements whether to go for a band or table saw

Regards Mick

Hi Mick

It sure isn't an easy choice! Not sure how I could rip those boards in half with my Makita 235mm circ saw though? Thinking about that appears tricky to me? Some of the boards are well over 12", some are nearly 16".

At the moment I am thinking a band saw, a planer thicknesser and a home made table saw using my circular saw, similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBucMKhrL8M

phil.p":27baxjn6 said:
A lot of what you need for a kitchen will be quite short lengths - so you would have some decent sized boards to sell on. (Assuming it hasn't stained badly drying)

Hi phil.p

Good point, I am a bit worried about some staining I have seen, but to be honest there is so much of it I will be OK to build the kitchen and sell some on, some boards are a bit of a mess though.

Cheers

tom

tom_wales":2nrl6b71 said:
Not sure how I could rip those boards in half with my Makita 235mm circ saw though

Hi

If your saw can cut to the required 2" depth just clamp a batten to the boards and use it as a guide for the saw.

Regards Mick

Tom...the big question is two fold. Will you be a bit of a woodworker after the kitchen project? Because if so then owning all of the "big 3" ie bandsaw, planar/thicknesser and table saw will stand you in great stead for the future. But you're looking at circa £2K plus to get half decent stuff. If not then it will save you time and money to get them milled for you as the chaps are suggesting because the machines would be redundant after the job.

Just another thought, there are 2 different chaps selling their entire workshops right now on this forum. If you did want to dive down the ownership route you might want to check out Devonwoody and RPsteve's for sale threads because in general tools sold through this forum are well fettled and have a bit of tlc behind them.

You will be able to resell them so could look upon the ownership more as hiring. Lastly Excalibur cabinet saws tend to get very positive reviews on here. Part of their appeal can be credited to the fact they are a clone of an American brand known as the Delta Unisaw which accidentally shot to fame as the saw owned by arguably the King of celebrity woodworkers. An American called Norm Abram who ran a woodworking series for a great many years called The New Yankee Workshop. But they are versatile and multi featured machines without too hefty a price tag. One feature that really sets them apart is the extra length to the arbor that enables the attachment of a stacked dado cutter blade set. That allows the cutting of wide grooves/rebates etc in ripping mode for effective but simple joinery. Perfect for cabinets in many ways in fact. There is an ongoing debate about safety with that style of blade. It's frowned on in Europe though not illegal, in the more gung ho US.....they operate them while riding bareback on a longhorn steer :)

Random Orbital Bob":1f0iwl1t said:
Tom...the big question is two fold. Will you be a bit of a woodworker after the kitchen project? Because if so then owning all of the "big 3" ie bandsaw, planar/thicknesser and table saw will stand you in great stead for the future. But you're looking at circa £2K plus to get half decent stuff. If not then it will save you time and money to get them milled for you as the chaps are suggesting because the machines would be redundant after the job.

Just another thought, there are 2 different chaps selling their entire workshops right now on this forum. If you did want to dive down the ownership route you might want to check out Devonwoody and RPsteve's for sale threads because in general tools sold through this forum are well fettled and have a bit of tlc behind them.

You will be able to resell them so could look upon the ownership more as hiring. Lastly Excalibur cabinet saws tend to get very positive reviews on here. Part of their appeal can be credited to the fact they are a clone of an American brand known as the Delta Unisaw which accidentally shot to fame as the saw owned by arguably the King of celebrity woodworkers. An American called Norm Abram who ran a woodworking series for a great many years called The New Yankee Workshop. But they are versatile and multi featured machines without too hefty a price tag. One feature that really sets them apart is the extra length to the arbor that enables the attachment of a stacked dado cutter blade set. That allows the cutting of wide grooves/rebates etc in ripping mode for effective but simple joinery. Perfect for cabinets in many ways in fact. There is an ongoing debate about safety with that style of blade. It's frowned on in Europe though not illegal, in the more gung ho US.....they operate them while riding bareback on a longhorn steer :)

Hi Bob

Thanks for your lengthy reply, I would be keeping hold of anything I buy, but at the same time I want to buy machines that I could sell on if needed., which is why I am after quality machines. I am slowly beginning to realise I will need to be spending a bit more than I thought though!
As I live in N. Wales, I don't really fancy hiring a big van and driving down south, although there are some bits that would be just great for me I am sure, certainly from both devonwoody and rspsteve, it is just too far for me to go to be honest.

At the moment I am thinking a band saw and a planer thicknesser and a home made table saw using my circular saw I have already.

I ended up building the rest of our extension due to a 'builder' having a hissy fit and walking off the job, he ran away because it turned out he had made so many mistakes, which I had to rectify in the end. It may have taken me longer to finish than a professional, but it cost me a damn sight less and I got a lot of satisfaction from it. Now I think I can build anything if I put the time and effort into it, so I have just finished a 7x4m garage so I can have a space to build everything else we need in the house. All this from someone that had only ever put some shelves up, and they fell down off the wall in the end.

Amazed at the swift replies, a very nice forum I must say, not something I have taken part in before.

Many thanks

tom

Latest posts

Back