Which £1500 table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ade_tumu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Having decided to buy a JET PT, I'm finding it difficult to find which table saw to go for. I've visited Axminster and looked looked at both the Axminster AW12BSB2 and Jet JTS-600. Overall, I liked the AW12BSB2 but felt it was let down by a poor micro adjuster (coarse and not so easy to use?). The JTS-600 seemed to have a better micro-adjuster but was slightly less good in other aspects. I visited the Charnwood shop to view their offering, but wasn't impressed. I tried to visit the Record main shop in Derbyshire but despite the fact they say the showroom has a full product range, their TS250 wasn't available to see. I like the idea of a 5 year guarantee but reading around, I'm not sure how good the Record machine is. So I feel at bit of a loss as to what to buy. If you've experience of the Axminster, Jet, Record or other comparable machines, what are your thoughts on them? (I need an all-rounder, 1ph machine.) Thanks.

Funny isn't it, I have an Altendorf WA80, doesn't even have a micro adjuster.........
Yet I had a Robland E300 which had one.

The Altendorf is unbelievably accurate, the Robland was rubbish.

I therefore tend to believe the crappier the saw the more useless gimmicks the company will put on them.

The three saws you are looking at are all quite different. The Jet is a much smaller saw than the others so think about the capacity you want before going for that. I have the Record TS250-RS and quite like it - having a 4' slider in a compact and mobile machine is fairly unique so if you want the sliding carriage in a portable package it's a good option. Not as solid as a more industrial machine though. If you don't want the panel saw style sliding table then I gather the Axminster saw is a very good one, and if you have the space then go for the MJ12-1600 as it's a step up from the Record in terms of capacity and overall robustness of the machine, but at the expense of size and mobility.

Thanks for your comments. I shall look at the Hammer and Excalibur options suggested.

The workshop won't accomodate the Axminster MJ12, I don't think, which is a shame.

Definitely look at the Xcalibur from Woodford. Mine is the older model, but the newer version has left-tilt and switch on the left too. It is built like a tank and is a pleasure to use. No fine adjuster, but it is easy enough to build your own if you need one and the pleasure that comes from using such a solid machine is a bonus every time you turn it on.
I'm currently planning a new workshop and I have no wish to change my tablesaw.
S

Back