Where to find blades for Record no 050 plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gebbly":382q8gl5 said:
Carl, so you have some spare 050 blades that you cant use?..... :)

Sorry, they went straight back on ebay and sold (singly) for a small profit - still, at least I am now aware that the cutters have both a left and a right, with subtle differences!

Cheerio,

Carl

Gebbly":319o5fcy said:
Just had a dig for info on the Record 077. "The Record 077 plane is used for trimming of joints" Hope your right Bugbear because that would work out perfectly. I would be able to use it on the tenons I was going to shape this weekend :)

You'd want (sometimes) a normal, full length shoulder plane for that.

The 77 is a bullnose shoulder , handy when you need it, but you won't need it very often.

BugBear

Hi All,
In my excitement playing with the new toys I forgot I was going to add a photo of the 050 and 050C cutters. The 050C and 077 were in immaculate condition and just needed sharpening. The 050C came with a full set of blades so I will probably just use that and not bother searching for 050 blades. Might put the 050 up for sale with its single blade and see what I can get for it I've clean off the rust and oiled it so its clean, might get a few quid. I've been keeping an eye out for a shoulder plane but dont see any in car boot sales and on ebay they go for about £80+ which is a nuisance.

The photo has the 2 cutters bevel up. I tried to find the 050C cutter with the same size as the single 050 cutter I had.

Sorry guys, The attachment failed as it was too big. Trying to find a way to shrink the image.

Heres the photo resized.

Attachments

• 050cutters.jpg
    050cutters.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 587
Thanks for posting that photo.

So to adapt a 050C cutter to fit a 050 you could shorten it by cutting about 1/2" off the bottom and grinding a bevel on the other side...

...or grind a second notch opposite the existing notch (1/2 inch lower).

Cheers, Vann.

In fact I dont think there is any obstruction behind the cutter on the 050 plane so you could potentially take a 050C cutter and grind a second slot on the opposite side a little lower down as appropriate for a 050 and you would have a dual use cutter.

Latest posts

Back