where do you set your band saw blade on the wheel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
apparently it's a matter of choice....

the manual is very clear - 2/3rds of the teeth should protrude over the edge of the wheel

American Woodworker Mag is equally clear - you should always centralise the blade on the wheel

Now, whilst I'm using a 1" 2tpi blade on my machine I am able to comply with the manual and get close to having a centralised blade :mrgreen: (but turning corners is next to impossible!) - when I fit a more general purpose 1/2" blade I am going to have to make a call!

I can understand the basic reasons for both statements - but am not experienced enough to be able to make a rational compromise decision.

You have identified the conundrum.

Manufactures suggest that the teeth be kept off the rubber so that the rubber doesn't get chewed up. But, for narrow blades that makes getting the blade to track properly is next to impossible, and for blades under about 6mm, it's jolly difficult to get them there at all, let alone track well.

For me, good tracking is imperative, as I really don't want to be skewing my fence. Some of my jigs rely on that. So I always go for the sit-it-on-the-wheel-where-it-tracks-best option and hang the slightly shorter life of the tyres, and that's the method I recommend to others.

HTH
Steve

Steve,

if I am reading you correctly you would seem to be consistent with a stance of 'overlap the teeth on larger blades as long as you can still track the blade like that, but expect to have to move it progressively more onto the wheel as the blade diameter decreases' (in order to track properly)

makes a lot of practical sense to me - just wish the relevant parties could bring themselves to word things that way!

Latest posts

Back