Where do you buy your masking tape?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrmac

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been getting mine in widths from 1" to 3", from Stax. I am, however, getting sick of how the rolls coagulate into a gummy mess after a few weeks, rendering it impossible to tear off a clean strip.

Can anybody recommend an alternative supplier, online or otherwise, whose masking tape doesn't deteriorate ?

TIA

I've tended to get mine at screwfix - mostly due to the convenience and price.
They stock a wide range of sizes and brands. I avoid the real cheapo one, as had similar problems to you, but otherwise seem fine

I've had instances where I've used masking tape to secure clamping blocks, but when I pulled it off it lifted a few fibres from the workpiece requiring a lot of remedial work. I understand luthiers are very familiar with this problem! Ever since then I've abandoned discount masking tape and only use 3M stuff.

custard":3tnueds9 said:
I've had instances where I've used masking tape to secure clamping blocks, but when I pulled it off it lifted a few fibres from the workpiece requiring a lot of remedial work. I understand luthiers are very familiar with this problem! Ever since then I've abandoned discount masking tape and only use 3M stuff.

As above, 3M is the best but a bit more costly, the cheaper budget stuff I use for fast on, use and off again within a couple of days and not use in the sun when it goes nasty and a real pain.
Regards Rodders

I use blue tape...see it on the tube a lot...its strong and stretchy, great for 'clamping'.

...you can find it online.

I get mine from my local decorators' merchant. Worth noting perhaps, that many basic masking tapes are only intended for less than 24hrs use - after that the adhesive starts to cure and harden. 'Blue' tapes are more UV resistant, and usually come in 7/14/30 day variants, at ascending prices, naturally. Many quality brands to choose from, and many, many variants e.g. have a look at the range available at e.g. http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk

HTH Pete

Wilkinsons is popular for masking tape on the Scroll-saw thread

Although for 'special care' jobs I use the superior, more expensive Blue Decorator's tape bought fro the Bay

For paint masking I really like the yellow frog tape, you get no bleed under and it comes off without bringing paint with it. even freshly painted items. It is expensive though

I agree that cheap tape can be a false economy. Sometimes the 3M stuff is available at LIDL/ALDI at very good prices, but obviously you need to be in the right place at the right time! Cheers, W2S

Thanks for all replies ... 3M it will be.

It's not so much the behaviour on the workpiece that concerns me so much as the fact that after a few weeks, with the cheap stuff from Stax, (particularly the 3" widths) it becomes impossible to peel a strip off a roll.

+1 for 3M tape, or (available here, not sure about UK) TESA brand is pretty good too. The blue stuff (when I can find it here) - never heard of/seen the green or yellow stuff here.

Cheapo tapes are definitely a false economy.

1 further point. Though I'm in a cellar I have one chest high window which gets direct sunlight in the mornings. Without thinking I rigged up a holder (long length of scrap plastic pipe) just under that window. A few weeks later, ALL tape was unusable! NOT a good idea.

It now all lives in a cupboard.

AES

murrmac":xxjf4ptm said:
I have been getting mine in widths from 1" to 3", from Stax. I am, however, getting sick of how the rolls coagulate into a gummy mess after a few weeks, rendering it impossible to tear off a clean strip.

Can anybody recommend an alternative supplier, online or otherwise, whose masking tape doesn't deteriorate ?

TIA

Put it in a microwave for 5 seconds and it should sort the adhesive out

wallace":y9i31z3b said:
For paint masking I really like the yellow frog tape, you get no bleed under and it comes off without bringing paint with it. even freshly painted items. It is expensive though

What a pleasure it must be to work wood with something as magnificent as that!

3M blue tape is my favourite paper tape, it survives solvents and paint fairly well (I spray guitars, bikes & cars), and has a decent edge.

If masking tape it goes hard and doesn't want to peel give it a waft with a hot-air gun or a hairdryer, it softens right up.

I've bought sundries from Mylands for over 20 yrs and they have only have ever sold 3m - nothing worse than a cheapo masking tape hence 3m is the one to buy. Be aware, masking tape even 3m does not have a hugely long shelf life...

Latest posts

Back