Where did all those wow moments go?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ateallthepies

Established Member
Reaction score
Sitting here trying to remember the last time I had one of those great moments in life where something takes your breath away or you get a rush from seeing or doing something. From something small like watching a great movie or a breathtaking bit of scenery to a life changing event that just makes stop and think 'Wow'.

Last time for me was skiing a double diamond black run in whistler a while ago and the zing of adrenaline after was intense and I could not stop trembling but at the same time never felt more alive!

Seems these moments are getting few and far between and the drudgeries of life and high expectations of things that turn out to be just mediocre are the norm?

I'm not depressed and have my health but would just like a few more of those 'wow' moments that make life nice.

When was your last wow moment?

Steve

Hi Steve,

No problem recalling my last "wow moment". It was 12 weeks ago when my first grandchild was born. A beautiful little girl, Sophie :D Absolutely magical,l as I'm sure a lot of forum members will agree.

Cheers,

Dave

yep my last wow moment was when our first child was born 7 weeks ago, i have never experienced emotion like it.

As for adrenaline wows, I seriously cannot remember??

Adrenaline wow? Probably the first time I did sump 1 in Swildon's Hole on the Mendips, about 17 years ago - three-day high (at work, the non-cavers thought I was bonkers - t'others understood).

General wows? Ballooning last year over Bath, with my wife, as a joint 50th birthday present.

Realising my first proper woodworking project for several decades (a window casement) would actually fit together properly and do the job, and that I hadn't actually c0cked-it up!

Running (and walking) 150 miles across the Sahara Desert in 2010, competing in the Marathon Des Sables. The MdS is a 7 day, 6 stage ultra-marathon where you carry all your food, clothing and bedding. The organisers supply medical support and water throughout. Other than that they just put up open-sided berber tents - and take them down around you at 6 each morning. Overall a fantastic adrenaline rush.

If you are so inclined you can still sponsor me to raise money for Facing Africa

I get loads of them.
Junior being born does top the list.
Music sets lots off.
Stood in Spar, a few years back, 'Your Love is Lifting Me Higher' by Jacky Wilson came on the radio. I think I was within inches of starting to break dance on the counter; if I could break dance.
Stood in Spar today ( I go there often) Big Country, the 80's bagpipe guitar tune came on the radio. cue massive flashbacks to an 80's motorbike with my German pals; I had this tune in my head for three weeks, the sun shone once, but belting to GlenCoe with this in my head makes me go all funny.
Last week, hurtling down the bonkers single track in Ross on my mountain bike, ping off the berm, hop over the roots, hit 35mph make the BMX'ers scream, clear the rocks of death, laugh like a maniac as the walkers see me just miss the last tree. Aged 49.
Making something that I know is proper fine,
occasionallly making something and knowing that I cannot possibly have done that on my own.
That is the winner apart from the 15 year old brat being mates with his Dad.

i confess to feeling very lucky.

Chunko',

Try finding out that your wife is expecting triplets for a wow moment :lol:

My last one was this last Saturday at the Milton Keynes Bowl with 70 000 other Foofighters fans listening to Dave Grohl play an acoustic version of 'Times Like These' as the second song of a 6 song encore - they played for over 2 and a half hours and it was unforgettable - a real 'wow' moment!

Mine has to be doing a bungee jump a couple of years ago, I had never done one before, and as I like to throw myself in at the deep end (excuse the pun) It was second highest and the most famous in the world at Verzasca Dam in Switzerland, it’s the one in the Bond film Goldeneye.

Check it out
http://youtu.be/eBq8K-Y2B4g

There were 10 of us and I won free drinks all night from the others for the best jump of the group.

SuperBungyJumpMan.jpg

I can honestly say it’s my ultimate WOW! Moment, unfortunately since then nothing has even come close.

My best so far was flying over the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in a helicopter. Flying just over the tree tops then suddenly there's a drop of nearly a mile to the rapids of the Colorado River below.

Mark

Flying through the Grand Canyon in a 'chopper and then landing at the bottom...eek!, MarkA beat me to it :lol: - Rob

You landed at the bottom Rob? I'm jealous! I'll have to go back now and somehow outdo you! I only saw it from above but I bet it was good from the bottom looking up?

Mark

mark aspin":7ltt1m4t said:
You landed at the bottom Rob? I'm jealous! I'll have to go back now and somehow outdo you! I only saw it from above but I bet it was good from the bottom looking up?

Mark
T'weren't exactly the bottom, but a plateau around 2/3rd's the way down, but apart from the Canyon itself, what was amazing was the complete and utter silence...incredible - Rob

Back