Where can I get original type glass to replace broken piece?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm restoring some very old sash windows. Around 100 years old.

A couple of pieces of glass are either cracked or have holes in.

Is it possible to get old style glass from anywhere? Or can you buy new glass that looks old......you know, with bubbles and ridges etc?

Cheers

Greenhouse glass would be suitable I think - my dad used some restoring an old lamp and it has visible imperfections. Maybe not as many as very old glass but certainly enough to look convincing.

Hi if you just want glass with ripples in it ask the glazier for horticultural glass its glass that was originally used for green houses.
On the other hand you could be after the piece that was known as a bulls eye, when glass was spun into a disc it was then cut into squares for use the center piece was the cheapest piece and known as the bulls eye. This is no longer the practice with modern glass production, but the bulls eye was made extra as a feature for windows and doors.
Its some time since I bought the last piece that I fitted and the glazier said he was finding it harder to source them but you never know phone a glazier and ask him does he have any or does he know of any body with them. Good luck, Billy.

If you are going to a glass retailer, don't tell them you want it for a window. They are not allowed to sell you greenhouse glass for Windows, has to be at least 4 or 5 mm (can't remember exactly). Of course, you can ask for picture frame glass. It's particularly difficult for old sash Windows because if you change your 2mm glass for 4 or 5 mm then you need to also change the sash counter weights.

The other possible source is fitters of plastic windows, who are ripping out what little old glass remains and paying money to dump it into landfill. I'm sure you could persuade them to let you take some away.
You could just drive around looking for their vans at work, or call in at their depots to find a pile of old windows piled up awaiting disposal.

That said, removing old glass without breaking it may be a challenge - top tip is to gently heat the old putty to persuade it to let go of the glass.

What you are after is called 'Restoration Glass' you can get it from the likes of http://sunriseglass.co.uk/ (no connection). It is not cheap though.

As others have said agricultural glass can be OK however I have found that recently the production methods are so good that it can be hard to find any with imperfections, it does tend to have a green tint though. Try a glazier in a rural area with lots of green houses and say it is for a stained glass project.

James

Picture framers often keep panes of old glass from re-framing jobs. Most of it will be thin stuff but occasionally they get bigger pictures to reframe. Worth a try? I

HTH

Cheers

another supplier is creative glass, st phillips, bristol, be aware the product does look a bit OTT. Reclamation yards or anywhere where they are ripping out old windows ie UPVC fitters is where I'd go......

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. Certainly have plenty to go by. I shall make sure I let you know how I get on.

Cheers

From my experience of replacing greenhouse panes, the glass is of exactly the same quality as window glass but is thinner so wouldn't have the desired ripples or other imperfections.

Could try a local architectural salvage/reclamation yard? My local one often has bits of glass laying around in the yard.

I highly recommend Stuart Owen Norton Glass and Sign, Ltd. I bought some reproduction cut glass from them last year to repair a 112 year old window and it was as close as you could ever hope to get.

Latest posts

Back