Where can I get a spring?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get a spring? My car has a wash jet on the bumper for the headlight. One of these jets has come off. I have the plastic jet bit, and the main post is still intact inside the bumper, but I've lost the spring that keeps the jet onto the post.

It's shaped like a horseshoe with a kink in it, a bit like a Greek letter Omega. I can get the spring from a Renault main dealer but only as part of the whole jet unit - £44+VAT!!!!!

I just want the spring.

I've tried the local breakers to no avail.

Thanks very much.
Steve

It's unlikely any breaker will spilt up a washer unit, let alone a front bumper piece.

What breed of car is it Steve?

Thanks guys. Part of the problem is that it is difficult to describe accurately.

Noel, it's a Renault Laguna Grand Tourer, 03 plate. Yes, I know, not sexy, but very comfortable, carries a load and is cheap to run. Well, no car is cheap any more, but you know what I mean.

I wonder if I could just glue it on?

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":20ehawiw said:
No, it's not quite a circlip, more a cross between a circlip and a cotter pin.

I must find some new friends....
S

try your local chainsaw/garden machinery supplier - there is a very similar spring holding on the chain sprocket of my stihl 361 and they usually have a range of sizes.

failing that i dont see why you cant put a dab of superglue on in place of the spring.

I think you might need a circlip.. I could be wrong, but it's a pretty common article. Try the spares Dept for your car. If they don't have one, they will surely be able to give you the spec?

Regards
John :)

Steve have you got the Haynes manual for your model. The reason I ask is they often show a broken down parts diagram and if you scan the picture in in and then upload it for us to see we might be able to come up with a fix.

If not can you give me the part number of the complete until and what Renault call it and I'll have a look around the web for you.

Cheers

Mike

If I'd got one to photograph I'd fit it! :D

My understanding is that a circlip is flat, punched out of a sheet and has two little holes at the end for circlip pliers.

This is made of spring wire, round in cross-section and has a double bulge, like go-no-go gauges.

I don't have the part number, I'm afraid.

It's very annoying, such a small thing, but nothing else will do. I've already tried, unsuccessfully, to make one from a coil spring. I might have another go with a bobby pin. I really need to have one to copy, but I'm reluctant to remove the other one in case that goes "Perjoing!" too (The one I've lost pinged into the bumper, never to be seen again).

Now where do I get a bobby pin?

Sigh.
S

Steve, are you near where the first one departed the car? Get a magnet and search around with that.

Could you wrap a small bit of wire round where the clip goes and twist it on itself?

Are they like these?

rnb-800-801_w_m.jpg

barkwindjammer":1sk004mr said:
a photo of the housing where the spring fell off :D

Ah, I see what you mean. :oops: I'll have a go tomorrow, it's getting dark.

Dave, they are more like this:
1318ou.jpg

It's 6 months since I've (very briefly) seen it, so I'm a bit hazy on the detail. I bet the bottom end isn't like that, but you get the idea. It goes on twice, as it were, first over the first bump and then over the second.
S

Steve Maskery":3twc85hm said:
barkwindjammer":3twc85hm said:

1318ou.jpg

It's 6 months since I've (very briefly) seen it, so I'm a bit hazy on the detail. I bet the bottom end isn't like that, but you get the idea. It goes on twice, as it were, first over the first bump and then over the second.
S

That sort of thing is known in motorcycle circles as a "ping-f**kit"!

If you know the diameter, a similar thing is supplied with every 'universal' gas thermocouple for fitting to older-style boilers (about 1/4"). I may have one somewhere. Otherwise often used on motorcycles and lots of other things like windscreen wiper adaptors and so on.

They're pretty widely used - a good car spares place should have something you can use. Failing that, stainless welding wire works well - a good compromise between springiness and not rusting! I'd suggest ornery MIG wire, but it would rust after a while (it's copper coated steel).

Dont they hold green-house glass in with they there type things ?

Simon

Steve Maskery":1hw24xpv said:
barkwindjammer":1hw24xpv said:

1318ou.jpg

S

I might have something like that at work, I will look tomorrow and let you know.

Latest posts

Back