when do you??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I have to get the missus to help me push the timber through......

Very good, Wizer!!

I presume you mean a circular saw blade? My answer is when the breakout becomes unacceptable.....

Mike

Sorry.

Or the motor is labouring hard. Or it just looks cream crackered. Of course you would get it sharpened a couple of times before you binned it?

Not sure of the question dicktimber

Are you asking a question relating to wear or use ?

As a couple of posters have said- through using your saw you should be able to gauge when resistance to cutting is reaching unacceptable/unsafe limits and/or see that the quality of the cut falls below expectations .

Any blade should be periodically cleaned and inspected , if there is any obvious damage

- warping
- missing/damaged teeth

the blade should be deemed unusable and either serviced or replaced

The factors that govern wear are numerous and will vary from user to user, if you started with a fresh blade the difference should be noticeable through experience .

If your question relates to application - saw blades are designed per task

- hardness/resistance of material
- speed of cut / finish
- type of cut ;cross cut / rip cut

Although you can utilise a blade for a purpose other than its design
you will sacrifice some degree of safety, shorten the life of your blade/machine and reduce the quality of finish by adopting this practice

Salvage

Maybe when its not a nice clean cut or you get burning as you push the wood through??

If you know the saw well, youll be able to feel if it needs changing.

Someone always used to change the blades for us, If it didnt feel ok when pushing the wood through we'd get it changed, Now im paying i would probably leave it a bit longer. Just changed my RAS blade after 6 months use, cost £60+ for a good swedex blade but well worth it.
Something i learnt, if buying a new blade, My old boss bought a thinner Freud Kerf blade than the old one, Always wondered why it was hard to push wood through, seems it was thinner than the riving knife so would give resistance when it touched it. I didnt know about all that and abviously my Boss didnt either.

I usually notice that mine are needing attention when they start to get harder to push the timber through, or starting to get burn marks when the timber stops. This may mean that the blade just needs to be cleaned as this need to be done occasionally, or if this doesn't help then have it resharpened.
If you mean when are they no longer sharpenable then I send them off until the sharpening company says there is nothing left to sharpen.

Johnny B

Thanks for the answers..

I installed a new blade and most of the issues mentoned cleared up.

Are the higher cost blades worth the premium?

Mike

Latest posts

Back