Wheelbarrow Planter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanN

Established Member
Reaction score
An unusual request, and one that I spent far too much time on – but I enjoyed every minute of making it.

A customer had a wheelbarrow planter that he wanted replacing, with few design considerations other than rough dimensions and to be “natural” in finish.

The original planter:

10g06ll.jpg

The timber selection was Western Red Cedar, sourced rough sawn from Arnold Laver and kindly planed up by a forum member. First step was to biscuit and glue up the panels, before using some MDF templates that I’d prepared to create the outline of the main components.

2m4c8c4.jpg

Unfortunately I encountered a little tear-out on one of the panels and this had to be cleaned up and a piece of timber glued in prior to sanding.

33vnuav.jpg

The sides and front/back were screwed together and the holes plugged.

2l9o0mv.jpg

16gxxsx.jpg

Same approach with the arms, legs and supports.

5kf39k.jpg

A cast iron wheel was sourced and given a coat of black hammerite

iz6q6u.jpg

And finally the top attached before receiving a thorough sanding. The barrow was handed over without any finish, with a recommendation that it’s lined before use. The black markings you can see on the inside of the barrow are where the boards rested on my clamps – these will not be seen once the barrow is filled.

211jryr.jpg

wteyz8.jpg

1zd1zpg.jpg

2e1ug6w.jpg

This is very nice.

I have recently recommissioned an "heirloom" wheelbarrow as a planter - here it is

IMG_0275.jpg

I made a rigid liner out of 1.5mm pvc sheet that I cut out and bent into shape using a hot air gun, then welded all seams with pvc cement and welded in a bit of overflow pipe in the bottom to provide a drain. All works very well, so well that Mrs S wants another one.

I guess the original wood is oak for the shafts and bracing and elm for the sides and bottom - when I get round to it, I may take your suggestion of using cedar for the new one.

The wheel bothers me and I like your cast iron replacement - where did you find it? I am thinking of havng a go at making a couple like this:

Woodenwheel.jpg

This is available here http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/cat_leaf.php?id=7527 with a similar wheelbarrow to mine for the princely sum of £550+vat...

Wheelbarrow.jpg

So thanks for posting your project

cheers

That is one pricey wheelbarrow - guess I should have stained mine, thumped it with the hammer a few times, and called it an antique :lol:

The cast iron wheel was an auction win - I simply gave it a good sanding and coated it with Hammerite Smooth. It came up really well, and finishes the barrow. The guy was well happy when I handed it over a few weeks ago.

Nice idea with the PVC liner - I'll try that on the next one.

Nice clean work Dean. I like the wheel- barrow a lot and especially your choice of cedarwood. I love working with it too. (With a good facemask!)

I also like the plastic liner solution. I have a couple of idle plastic storage bins. They are slope-sided and I think I could build a wheelbarrow around one of those. Hmmmm.. Ideas!

I am probably nit-picking, but did you consider drainage? Perhaps I just haven't noticed any!

Regards
John :)

Benchwayze":3o2e5fbn said:
I am probably nit-picking, but did you consider drainage? Perhaps I just haven't noticed any!

Regards

I did mention that I welded in a piece of overflow pipe in the bottom (having heat-formed a flange on it) this passes through a hole I drilled in the base of the wheelbarrow which is why you cannot see it. The liner is fairly rigid but sufficiently flexible to wiggle it all into place.

Cheers

I think the drainage comment was directed at me - your approach scholar is a great idea, and one I'll probably incorporate into my next one.

I'd originally planned to drill drainage holes in the base, but decided against this as I didn't want to weaken it. Instead, the sides are not perfectly flush with the base, allowing water to escape. After researching numerous gardening forums, I've suggested that the base is covered with a layer of pea shingle, onto which a plastic liner is layed (also to lay this onto the sides). The liner is punctured, allowing water to escape into the shingle, and then drain away through the sides. This way, standing water should be avoided.

I see your point Dean.

I don't think you would need more than two or three 5/8" holes at the lowest point though. The bottom of the barrow covered with some perforated zinc, breathable membrane, and topped with pea-shingle. (By membrane, I mean the fleecy stuff, used as a 'mulching' layer. It allows water through, but stops weeds growing upwards. )

But your suggestion would work too.

Back