whats this??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I wet turned this oak bowl last night and when I came back to it today too see if this sealer had dried I notice its turned a purple colour.

I also noticed the tools I had been using have got slightly stained as well.Is this the tannin in the wood? and how do I avoid it or do you have to live with it.thanks

Yes it is the Tanin that causes the tools and anything that is metal to go black,but the wood looks like some sort of mold :?
What i have started to do is give the bed and rests on my lathe or whatever, a coat of WD40 before i start using Oak.Then give a good clean up after,before it dries.

What are you doing with it now? I take it you're going to store it until it's dry? In which case don't worry. It will turn away when you remount it. If you want to finish it now (probably not a good idea if it's wet) then remount it, dry it and try 80g sand paper before taking a tool back to it.

What did you apply as a sealer, it looks as if it has either reacted with the tannins as would anything with a ferrous content or it has sealed the atmospheric contact and the wet wood is reacting with a surface contamination prior to applying sealer.

Are your tools carbon steel, is there any chance that the grinding dust got transferred to the wood by a rag or such.

Thanks for the quick response chaps.
CHJ-all my tools are HSS and I used pva sealer but I was doing some grinding in the shed last week so there could have been some contamination thanks for your comments.
Wiser-yes I will store it now for a good few months and I'm sure it will turn out.i've got loads more as well so I'll have to keep the shed clean.Thanks also.
Paul.j-thanks I'll get some WD40

Latest posts

Back