Whats come out of the workshop today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.b

Established Member
Reaction score
well if anybodys interested here's what come out of my workshop today Bellow is a yew bowl 13 inches in diameter, and finished in oil, I started it some time ago and thought I had better finish it,
IMG_2338yewbucket.jpg

IMG_2336yewbucket2.jpg

and the next one I would like some help with as I have no Idea what it is, but was given to me when I purchased some burrs, its 9 inches in diameter. and finished with sand sealer and wax.

IMG_2341unknown1.jpg

IMG_2342unknown2.jpg

Love the yew bowl - nice size,finish looks excellent :D
The burr is also very nice;just not sure if it's elm or not.

Andrew

And here is Heathers, work for this afternoon, its one of those australian burrs, not sure which type, she is a little unsure of it, as she found they are not exactly pleasurable to turn, in fact at one stage I stood behind here sharpening one 3/8 bowl gauge her whilst she was busy blunting the other one, then she took the edge of the newly sharpened one, well there is gratitude for you.
IMG_2323hburr2.jpg

Oh forgot to mention its about 8 inches across with a 3 inch shallow bowl with a raised edge to it.
Steve

well not much has been finished in my workshop over the last few days, as I have been rough turning elm bowls between 13 & 17 " in diameter, Heather also got her first taste of rough turning a 14 " diameter by 5 " deep bowl from a piece of elm, that had been cut out of elm butt and then cut into a blank by me with a chainsaw, and she got on very well considering big unbalanced chunks of wood are fairly scary, she should be able to finish it in a few weeks and we will post a picture for all to see.

the only picture that I have to show is a 8 " tall vase made from a bit of oak burr left over from a large bowl, its nothing special but I could not put the left over burr on the scrap pile.
but here it is pictured below,

Steve
IMG_2367oakburr2.jpg

IMG_2366oakburrvase.jpg

I like the vase, lovely figuring, hope those lines aren't splits in the making though. Looks like I'm not the only one to turn rough edges and holes :lol: good to have company.

Pete

rough edges,holes and anything a bit different are my favorites Pete, yes the lines are shakes in the making, the bit of burr has been hanging around in my workshop for quite a while so hopefully it wont fall apart, but I dont mind a few cracks thats all part of the character.

steve

Hello Andrew the tools that I normally use for hollowing consist of 3 different sizes of bowl gouge and a couple of sorby hollowing tools, most of it is done with the bowl gouges to which I fit a steadying handle to stop the gouges being twisted out of my hands..

Steve

I have spent a couple of hours in the workshop coaching Heather, and today she had another go at rough turning a large bowl from a chainsaw cut blank, todays was a bit of elm which she has rough turned into a 14"x 6" conical bowl.
we will leave it a few weeks and then she can finish it off.

for those interested a couple of pictures below.

Cheers Steve
IMG_2375hbowloutside.jpg

IMG_2380hbowlin.jpg

IMG_2382hpleased.jpg

Well done Heather, you look as though you are really enjoying yourself and it looks as if the proportions and grain features of the finished bowl will be great.

I found a couple of hours in the workshop yesterday, and a couple more today and put a bit of walnut to good use( well i think so) here are a couple of pictures for those interested,

Steve

this hollow form is five and a half inches tall, seven and a half inches diameter and a wall thickness of around three sixteenths of an inch
IMG_2383walnut3.jpg

IMG_23walnutholloew2.jpg

Very nice,Steve - finish looks excellent,and the curve of the whole piece flows beautifully.Also a lovely looking piece of timber in it's own right.

Keep them coming :D

Andrew

That is a really nice piece there Steve with a lovely finish. Is it satin in real life?. I've started having a go at hollowing but not done anything that ambitious yet.

Pete

Nice work Steve, a simple form that allows the beauty of the wood to be seen :wink:

Very nice Steve :D
Nice shape,finish,and cracking bit of wood.
Haven't tried hollowing out yet meself.Must get round to having a go :roll:

Thank you for your kind comments, the form is just finished in oil, it wasn't too difficult to do Pete, Infact I did another one earlier in the week turned from hawthorn, and decided to take out another mil or so right at the end, which resulted in two nicely finished bits of scrap wood, oops

Steve

Latest posts

Back