what's a platter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that this seems like a daft question but what defines a platter - I know it's got to be thin but does any soft of bowl shape (dish) rule it out; does a foot rule it out; etc?

Many thanks

Miles

A platter should have a flat bottom basically. At our club if there is the slightest curve in the bottom it is disqualified. Apart from that I think it is a matter of personal opinion.

Pete

Blister":27vi7kym said:
The requirements for a PLATTER will be disclosed 1st March :wink:
That's the sod of it, I'm finally in a position to get ahead and avoid the normal rich / pressure and I can't because I'm in ignorance :)

Bodrighy":2aqnip59 said:
A platter should have a flat bottom basically. At our club if there is the slightest curve in the bottom it is disqualified. Apart from that I think it is a matter of personal opinion.

Pete
By bottom do you mean the bit that touches the table?

miles_hot":18ilyzxk said:
Blister":18ilyzxk said:
The requirements for a PLATTER will be disclosed 1st March :wink:
That's the sod of it, I'm finally in a position to get ahead and avoid the normal rich / pressure and I can't because I'm in ignorance :)

I thought the spirit of the competition was that the item be produced in that month so that everyone has the same potential time on it

Inside the dish, you can have a rim, big or small, and a curved part but the bottom of it (according to out club rules) must be flat across. Outside usually matches the same shape. Maybe Alan will have a different criteria though so I'd get his before you make one for the competition. LOL.

Duncan has a point there.

Pete

They are I suppose but it saves all sorts of arguments as long as you abide by them. There are at least a dozen turners with more than twenty years experience between them including several pros so the quality of work is pretty high.

Pete

cambournepete":19bogro2 said:
Your club rules sound very strict :)
I don't see what's wrong with a little bit of curvature in the bottom of a platter, ...
Surely it's obvious - curvature on the inside turns platters into "hollow forms"! That wouldn't do at all. :roll:
Still some way to go to be technically "urns".
:lol: :lol:

PS Could someone kindly disclose to me the requirements for an "URN", as the dog died recently.

duncanh":6zuqk582 said:
I thought the spirit of the competition was that the item be produced in that month so that everyone has the same potential time on it
It takes me a whole day to make something that a pro will make in an hour and make a lot better, some of us need a head-start :p

As to the original question, a Platter is Flatter, simple!

myturn":24vzy9wr said:
duncanh":24vzy9wr said:
It takes me a whole day to make something that a pro will make in an hour and make a lot better, some of us need a head-start :p

As to the original question, a Platter is Flatter, simple!

that is EXACTLY my problem. im a perfectionist when it comes to bowl/platter shapes so it takes me 2 times as long to get a curve im happy with

Back