What your TV licence money goes on..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":38t7zvr6 said:
Where have all the good comedies gone? Watching Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads reminded us of just how good the BBC was once upon a time.
The likely lads funny ? I guess Live at the Apollo won't appeal then.

Rhossydd":3nwwclw7 said:
Do you really want to be left to your own devices and get left with free market television ?

That is so typical of the patronising attitude of the average bbc luvvie-their ingrained assumption that if you resent the bbc and fail to appreciate its alleged "value", then you must by default be an avid tory xenophobic fan of sky or whatever, and that without the bbc the western world will fall apart and descend into anarchy.... :lol: Thinking about it, maybe its actually the bbc that is the LAST to recognise that Britain isnt the global world power that it once was, they certainly still have big delusions about being a global media business player. Personally I find much of youtube to be 100's of times more engaging, entertaining and informative than anything that is produced by any of the tv industry manufacturers-commercial, independent, "public service" or otherwise-much more interesting, inventive and (mostly) far less pretentious. And its another reason why the bbc is so pernicious, because as a organisation it simply refuses to leave people to their own devices and make up their own minds after real debate, but sees fit as a socio political organisation to inetrfere in "opinion forming" etc by relentlessly promoting the "correct" (LOL) bbc line....Besides the bbc is a free market organisation, because they make profit from global business enterprises, that are subsidised by the license fee. Yet they still try to delude themselves and everyone else that they are an impartial public service broadcaster, and still take the extorted license fee off people regardless.

Cottonwood":2a11bjtt said:
Yet they still try to delude themselves and everyone else that they are an impartial public service broadcaster, and still take the extorted license fee off people regardless.

So long as the BBC continue to provoke this sort of reaction I'd say they're doing a fine job. :lol: Note how the smiley makes that statement less offensive. :lol:

If it looks like an ill-mannered political squabble, swims like an ill-mannered political squabble, and quacks like an ill-mannered political squabble then it probably is an ill-mannered political squabble.

mailee":1jjan08c said:
Well I view the BBC like all the rest of the channels....rubbish! I agree when they do make a documentary or a drama they are very good quality but they are very few and far between. Instead they turn out fly on the wall documentaries, cooking programs, and any other rubbish they think they can get away with! I for one am not interested in celebrities eating worms in a jungle or watching people watching TV! There news programs are overkill and if they put all that effort into 'real' programs we could have some good entertainment. I have given up counting the amount of repeats they all show I guess they must buy a job lot of them for a knock down price and just keep putting them on until the VT is worn out! :evil:

Well said, agree with all of that, and I have (over the years) come across various BBC employees and in the main they are conceited, patronising, and without doubt politically biased. It was once upon a time a great organisation and when I was in communist controlled Eastern Europe in the sixties it did a great job, but like many companies it has lost it's way and has been forced to cater for the lowest common denominator which thankfully Mailee and I are not part of :lol:

Rhossydd":3esxuje3 said:
The UK Government subsidises a lot of the international output, World service, world news etc.

I'm surprised you even mention the so called 'World Service' have you ever listed to it in recent years, all it comprises of these days is a radio version of 'Top of the Pops' with requests from darkest Africa for the latest pop group of kids yelling and screaming into a microphone. Some news from various world locations (Hardly ever anything about the UK) the weather in Outer Mongolia or similar (Again not very often the UK) interviews with people from all sorts of countries (Yet again, hardly ever a UK based person)

It's a complete joke. I used to take my short wave radio when I visited Eastern Europe in the sixties and always tuned in to the BBC World Service. I still visit there but I don't bother taking my short wave radio any more, complete waste of time, yet it is from my taxes that these useless, stupid, politically biased, programmes are made.

And just for the record, in the sixties I ALWAYS had people asking me what the BBC World Service was saying, now in the past 15 years NO ONE has ever asked me about the BBC World Service.

Everyone who works in this part of the BBC should be given their P45 and the whole thing shut down, it does no good to anyone anywhere.

Losos, I think that you might find seven million Iranians disagreeing with you for a start as that is the number who tune in and an increase of 85% over three years. World listening figures are estimated at 241 million. Not bad going. Now that it comes out of the licence fee, it equates to 2p per day per household which is pretty damn good value IMO.

MIGNAL":11cx41j3 said:
What's with all the bold type? Feelings of inadequacy?
It was all the other rot in between the bold and CAPITALs of Losos' rant that concerned me, it suggested delusions of adequacy.

Strange is it not. Instead of the Brits celebrating having their very own TV/Radio 'company' some (largely from the right) want to be rid of it. No doubt to be taken over by johnny foreigners like the politically impartial Murdoch and Burlusconi :shock: (shudder the thought). Don't worry, I doubt they'll be hacking your TV set and I'm sure you'll all enjoy Silvio's good time girls. Maybe Mr. Chelski is interested in running it as his play thing. Let it go the way of our energy and water companies - that way we really could be European. Wouldn't really matter if we were in the EU. We would be owned by them anyway.
Right. I'm off to watch bid TV for a few hours. Then a few repeats of Mr. Springer. Try it Roger, Losos et al. I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy it. None of that lefty political rubbish to put up with. TV doesn't get much better.

True. The Beeb has really lurched to the right since Cameron came in. Maybe Murdoch could put Rebekah at the head of it after she has done her stint. Is our Rebekah English? Might disqualify her, her being born here. But don't underestimate Burlusconi or Mr. Chelski. Couple of nice guy heavyweights when it comes to running a business. In fact the whole lot of them would be great for UK TV. PLC. irrespective of the fact that they should all be behind bars! Far better than the current Beeb types. :D
PMS fng.L

. . . and every single British PM from Thatcher onwards have told Murdoch to F.O. :shock:
No Political bias there then.

phil.p":3dyxxl6b said:
Yes, it's lurched that far to the right that it is the biggest single buyer of The Guardian. :lol:
are you playing the smiley allows a moronic comment card, or do you have some evidence for this? Thought not.

Latest posts

Back