What would be the best way to notch of these corners....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatcho

Established Member
Reaction score
notchedshelf_zps99000bc6.jpg

I'm assuming a router? In which case, any idea? Would I need a jig?

The material is walnut veneered MDF or chipboard

i would use a either a band saw or a fine toothed hand saw. a router will leave a curved corner which you have then got to deal with. depends how many you have to do and the equipment that you have.

Well I don't have a bandsaw and I need to be able to apply adhesive edge banding to it so it needs to be a square finish. I've got quite a few to do (20ish) so handtools aren't ideal.

Hi

How about clamping them all together and then use a router against a fence along the edges as opposed to the faces, this would leave clean and square cuts.

Regards Mick

Stack them together, in the manner of a loaf of bread, then a router could be used. They would need to be well clamped. Rout from the edge, that is with the router sole running on the cut edge of the boards. Sacrificial end pieces are likely to be necessary.
xy

As said by the other two Posts
Group them together add a sacrificial piece to either end to avoid breakout and use a router to cut the notches out

Roger

Am i right in assuming that stacking them together and using the router on them would require a router table??

You don't say how thick they are? I personally think a router is overkill. Clamp a few together, clamp the job to a steady surface. Put a good quality new blade in a jig saw and use fence clamped to the work. Then take your time, don't try and rush the blade and it will give you a nice neat cut. :wink: It's tempting when you have a lot the same to do to try and find a quick way. Don't do that, it doesn't work out.

Personally I wouldn't use a jigsaw on stacked pieces as even slight blade wander will be exaggerated the deeper the cut. The stacked pieces then router sounds the way to go.

Back