What wood to use ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , bit of advice needed here please

I am going to attempt to cut out a key ring for my boat keys , with my boat name cut into it

only require something thin about 8" long 2" wide

any suggestions ??

Thanks

Hi Blister,

Is it going to get wet? If so a solid timber would be best, preferably with a close grain so it has no 'fracture points' something like Maple would be fine. If its not going to get wet then you could try MDF and paint it or baltic birch ply which is then varnished or painted.

HTH,

Steve.

You'll certainly want something durable if it's going to get a lot of battering in coat pockets amongst all the loose change (if you're anything like my other half :roll: ). I doubt MDF would be tough enough but a hardwood such as maple certainly would. I'll warn you now, though - maple will be stern test of your scrollsaw! Although oak and ash are also durable, they've always struck me as slightly easier to cut.

Oak has a traditional association with maritime activities so I'd probably plump for that. But isn't iroko also being used extensively in ship building nowadays? That might be another option, especially if you want your key ring to be dark and don't want the hassle of ebonising oak. The only drawback is that some scrollers find iroko dust irritating.

Just a few thoughts :) .

Gill

Latest posts

Back