What tool would this have been?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasky

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in the days when they still taught woodwork as a subject in schools...

We had a number of bench-mounted saws. They were like scroll saws but had longer arms, bigger squarer tables with guide fences and mitre blocks, and used quite deep jigsaw blades. They were awesome at straight cuts, but could also do curves like most jigsaws.
I've been looking at scrollsaws, but they all seem too small.

Was considering this as an alternative to a handheld jigsaw and possibly a bandsaw, but have no idea what it's called.

Anyone remember these?

Tasky":3vdmnly5 said:
Back in the days when they still taught woodwork as a subject in schools...

We had a number of bench-mounted saws. They were like scroll saws but had longer arms, bigger squarer tables with guide fences and mitre blocks, and used quite deep jigsaw blades. They were awesome at straight cuts, but could also do curves like most jigsaws.
I've been looking at scrollsaws, but they all seem too small.

Was considering this as an alternative to a handheld jigsaw and possibly a bandsaw, but have no idea what it's called.

Anyone remember these?

When was it?

BugBear

Were these saws electric or user-powered? If the latter, were they treadled or something else?

I think I recall a discussion in the scrollsaw section about a robust saw, made in England, which was sold to schools and hospital occupational therapy departments in the 1960s.

Maybe a Meddings?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/152603690170?_mwBanner=1

AndyT":1gmnmjq2 said:
Were these saws electric or user-powered?
User-powered?
I'm not THAT old yet, heh heh!!

AndyT":1gmnmjq2 said:
Maybe a Meddings?
Something like that, yes, but the arms alone were about 3' long and the table was about 4' wide. I remember doing some really big MDF panels on it, as well as what it did to some silly kid's hand.

Doesn't look like you can get saws like this any more anyway, so I'll pick from the modern stuff...

Back