What tool should I buy next?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to woodworking, and fairly new to any type of DIY, to be honest, but I feel like I've found my calling. My previous life as a chartered accountant just wasn't doing it for me...
Anyway, I've discovered Parkside, and I've been able to pick up some decent tools fairly cheaply.
I currently have 1) circular saw, 2), electric planer, 3) multitool, 4) jigsaw, 5) orbital sander, 6) drill / driver

I'm pretty happy with them all except the circular saw which is a bit underpowered.
I'm currently looking at either a table saw, mitre saw, or a plunge / track saw. I think I probably need at least 2 out of the 3, as well as an improved circular saw.
Any thoughts on which would be the best all-rounder?

Agree with @paulrbarnard it all comes down to what you are planning on making. All those tools have their place .. but the quality of some leave a lot to the imagination. The second question is how confident are when working with power tools as table saw or mitre saw can be deadly if you make a mistake or you are distracted.

As a recent convert to the track saw I'd say they are invaluable for sheet goods and the Parkside one is better than you could reasonably expect at the price. Worth taking a look at Peter Millard's videos on YouTube as he's compared a lot of them and has a great selection of beginners tutorials.

A sliding double bevel mitre saw would find a use in many projects, a scheppach one from Aldi has done me well over the last couple of years . I have an elderly Axminster hobby level table saw which has seen some things but still keeps going It could do to be replaced but it'll be a big jump to something decent and I struggle to justify the outlay for the amount I use it at the moment. Maybe when I retire and take up fine furniture making... :ROFLMAO:

Hi Stuart
Welcome to the world of wood and tools, you mentioned you are also fairly new to diy stuff.
The electric tools you mention are good enough for the time being while you get used to using them but I suggest you buy a few hand tools as they might be easier to handle at this stage. I suggest a No 4 Wood plane, a tenon saw and a hand saw would be beneficial before you buy more powered equipment and take your time no rush.

All good advice above. In general rather than getting all the tools at one hit its better to get them one at a time as the next project dictates. Another thing to think about is the space you have to work in. A miter saw in a fixed position takes up a lot of shed space. Better to have a metal stand for it then use it outside. A tablesaw needs enough space around it for the wood you will be cutting. Ripping a 2M board needs 2M behind and 2M in front of the saw. So if space is tight a plunge track saw can do what the table saw and miter saw do. As okeydokey points out get some hand tools in the mix as well. Quite often small jobs can be quietly done by hand rather than resorting to the industrial setup.
Regards
John

Depending on what you have now, what space and what you intend to make, your next best tool may be a workbench.
So your purchases should be the essential tools needed to make one.

I'm with others on this. Powered stuff is fine, but its not sensible just to pop off down the tool shop and pick up whatever. as said, stuff like a table saw or mitre saw are dangerous machines.(Sorry to use you as an example @ Babs+BigT :LOL: )
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...tains-graphic-images-of-a-hand-injury.146419/
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...med-finger-graphic-description-images.145485/

These two are both experienced machine users, BigT is a joiner, Babs a furniture-maker.

Or this chap, clearly no real experience, using a cheapo powered mitre saw
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9038791/Security-officer-49-chops-HAND-electric-saw.html
Clearly didnt have his sleeves rolled right up, and reaching in without following any safety procedures whatsoever, the blade caught his sleeve and , well what happens next is faster than you can blink

So.... :LOL:
.....What have you in the way of hand tools. Chisels, Planes, handsaws ?

If not already, a decent quality block plane or No4, a handsaw, Japanese style is best i feel. and as for chisels, Marples split proof are good trade quality.
Saws-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25491594...E930ZJ&hash=item3b5a2c985c:g:mTwAAOSwyXhianRX
Hand plane(No4) -Not the best as hand planes go, but this will get you started, and certainly more than capable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40432343...BKJS6H&hash=item5e238dfcc6:g:ee0AAOSwFg1kgI2g
Chisels-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14423542...Z6FE73&hash=item219519f8fa:g:ilUAAOSwoqllHnCc
Obviously you'll also need something to sharpen your plane blade/s and chisels on.
A powered one will save a considerable amount of time.
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/wg200-8-wet-stone-sharpening-system-package-deal

Last edited:
Where do I start. Ok let's look at high value, low spend. A good measuring tool either a roofers square and or a combination square are pretty useful pieces of kit. The roofers square will help you with straight cuts using your Jigsaw or your circular saw. Some clamps and a long straight edge for sheet goods.

Power tools wise, I think a mitre saw is a big step up from a circular saw and will help with hundreds of projects It will help with repeatable cuts as well as angled joints for frames etc. Lastly a table where you can work will really help if you don't have one.

There are 2 cost effective solutions. 1 Mac Allister folding work bench is really good. and or a pair of dealt saw horses which fold away easily and can be set up as a large table.

An addition if you are working indoors is a shop vac, there are lots of low cost options and I would get one with a plug socket on and auto start. when you turn on your new mitre saw it will start up and suck up the dust. welcome and good luck.

OK this is how it works:
  1. You will buy things and you will never use them.
  2. You will buy things that you will initially think are fine and later find better alternatives.
  3. You will buy things because you think you will work one way (or build one type of thing) only to find that you end up going in another direction.
  4. You may well buy things that on use, scare the hell out of you, and for your own safety decide never to use again.
  5. You will buy things that you just find uncomfortable to use.
  6. You will buy things that work well for you.
Unfortunately group 6 is different for each woodworker. The only way to distinguish between group 6 things and group 1-5 things are either to do the buying or to try the tools yourself before buying. This is where having a friend/relation who woodworks can be so useful. Or go on courses.

Buy with caution because the stuff that's not group 6 will empty your purse and fill your workshop unless you get good at selling stuff on.

My advice is to buy things for the project you are working on and that you know you will use within days (if not hours) of it arriving. Try not to buy because you think something might be useful for some project in the future - that route leads to over-full tool chests.

Oh! but the thing to be really afraid of is when you start enjoying the buying no matter the group. End up in that space and you're really in trouble.

I have a table saw and a plunge (track) saw. For me that's all I need so I don't have circular saw anymore. When it comes to cheap gear I have found the build is usually OK. The problem usually is the quality of the blade. I bought a performance power table saw from I think B & Q. It was terrible right from the start, jamming and not capable of a straight cut. Then I changed the blade and it was transformed. Still using it today.

Back