What tool/piece(s) of Machinery changed your woodworking?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1+ for Domino. I have two periods in my joining evolution BD and AD. That's "Before Domino and………...

a new tape measure. no more guessing the lengths (hammer)

Probably routers for me (I've got five of them now) followed by my cordless Makita kit, so many different tools that use the same battery :) Just waiting for a cordless 18v router now Hint Hint Mr makita man

I agree about the bandsaw and Domino, to which I would add my planer/thicknesser. Getting any of these would make a big difference for almost anyone.

At a more personal level, my current furniture design direction involves lots of organic curves and tapers which means a lot of work with spokeshaves (the Woodjoy ones are fantastic) and drawknife (ditto the small Veritas item). I have invested in some hand-stitched rasps from Matthew Platt and these are excellent. However, the tool that has really impressed me immensely is a 14" farriers rasp sold to me by James Mursell. It's a fearsome looking beast but is capable of removing wood at a fantastic rate while still leaving a surprisingly good surface. One of woodworking's best kept secrets.

Jim

Latest posts

Back