What to get for the luthier that has everything?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepBlue

Established Member
Reaction score
My brother is a luthier and as somewhat snobbish about us mere cabinet makers, often complaining about our overuse of the mallet, so I thought what better present for his 21st than a hand crafted maple and zebrano mallet (for ornamental use only ;))

It was actually quite fun to build so I think I might make one for myself, that way I know at least one will be used as it's supposed to :lol:

IMG_3634_s.jpg

Like it :wink:, tho' if I'd made it I would have been inclined to use countersunk brass screws. How big is it, nothing in the pic to get an idea of scale? - Rob

If he's that snobby and doesn't approve of the mallet, tell him to go and pluck himself. :D

Woodbloke: The handles is about 10 inches long. Originally I had planned to make it bigger, but I kept shaving bits off of the bowl blank that I got for the head because the proportions didn't look right.

And yeah, I take your point about the screws. I ordered it very late from Timpson and it only just arrived on the morning of his birthday (although hats off to Timpson for turning it around in 2 days). The plate arrived with the round head screws, but I was sure that I had some countersunk ones at home. After racing home from work that evening they were no where to be found, so I had to resort to the round ones :(. Maybe I should steal it back and do it properly...

I think he was pretty chuffed, now all that remains is to persuade him that mallets are in fact essential :)

I've always called myself a "Bozo with a bandsaw." Never liked the term "Luthier". Too narcissistic.

Do I win the mallet??? :p

Back