What to do with a log

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leverb01507

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend has just cut down two large sycamore trees in his garden from which he still has some logs. These are about three feet in length and about thirty inches across. My question is do you think i could salvage some usable timber from this using tools at home (maybe a chain saw or an axe) for futuer use.
If its possible what do you think the best way of going about it would be?

If you haven't done this before then I would google converting logs into planks and "logosol". For a first time I would try and find someone with experience to help, otherwise you could end up with a lot of sawdust and warped/split boards.

The big thing to remember with seasoning sycamore is to store it vertically and not horizontally in stick

For a three feet log, even though it's thirty inches wide, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Have you used a chainsaw before? If not, this is a challenging task which could be dangerous.

Far better to find a local turner to take it off you hands who will, in turn, be your BFF

I kept a home grown 3.5ftx10"dia laburnum trunk stood vertically on the patio for a couple of years. I took it to the Yandle show last year after checking that the planking machine demonstrator was going to attend.

5 minutes and he cut it into 1" planks at a cost of £3. Bargain.
Beautiful wood, already dry, but stickered under the caravan at present awaiting a perfect project for it.

I kept a home grown 3.5ftx10"dia laburnum trunk stood vertically on the patio for a couple of years. I took it to the Yandle show last year after checking that the planking machine demonstrator was going to attend.

5 minutes and he cut it into 1" planks at a cost of £3. Bargain.
Beautiful wood, already dry, but stickered under the caravan at present awaiting a perfect project for it.

if you have a friend to help you just put it through the bandsaw. If you don't have a big enough one i'm sure you could find someone who does that will help you for a bit of cash.

good thing it is only 3 feet long though!

woodsworth":1l0ms9mt said:
if you have a friend to help you just put it through the bandsaw. If you don't have a big enough one i'm sure you could find someone who does that will help you for a bit of cash.

good thing it is only 3 feet long though!

That would be a big bandsaw to cut up a 30" diameter log!

Back