What to do with 40cu ft of walnut!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody, i'm pleased with how it turned out, as is the customer, work has stopped on it until christmas as the customer is russian and has returned home. However I will try and post some more pictures in the future.

I think I may annoy people when I say it took less than 320hours for the whole project including fitting, I won't take all the glory I have a business partner who's fairly handy with the tools :lol:

Bear in mind this is a commercial enterprise and I use power tools when ever possible, and when you do it day in day out you get pretty quick at it.

cheers Senior

Senior,

As everyone else has said – beautiful. What is inspiring for me is that this forum is a place where people of all different abilities (ranging from yours to mine) are able to share their efforts and give encouragement and advice. Thanks again for sharing the photos of your craftsmanship. =D>

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I still get a buzz from doing woodwork and I like looking at other peoples work, whatever standard. Theres a lot of talented and knowledgable people on this forum, I think i'm lucky that I can earn a good living out of it, and do big projects like this.

If only I had time to put stuff like that in my own house :lol: :lol:

Fabulous work. I feel both inspired and intimidated in equal measure!

Senior,
I was discharged from the military with post traumatic stress, and took up woodwork as a way of occupying myself, I am pleased with some of my results, but get easily frustrated when it doesn't turn out like it does on the TV shows.
Only today whilst trying to build a simple cabinet round a boiler, I threw my tools down with frustration and havn't been back since.
I came on to do some online woodwork ( read the forums ) and havn't checked out "Projects" for some time.
I am blown away by the quality of your work, and can appreciate the hard work and dedication you put in to get such results.
You have inspired me again, and I intend to get back to work as soon as I can.
I will be keeping an eye out for your future posts, and between yourself, the members of this website, and my magazine subscription, perhaps I can break into one of the best hobbies, and maybe even get some jobs round the house done !
Keep up the good work, and perhaps you should be on "Discovery Real Time" we don't really have a U.K Norm ?
Regards

Jed

great work , love it :D

walnut seems to be the in thing at the mo

Lugo 35 wrote:
walnut seems to be the in thing at the mo

In my book, walnut has always been 'in'. Its a fantastic timber, (either European or AB) that you can do just about anything with, brilliant figuring, stable, takes polish well and works without any effort under an edge tool....just the best - Rob

Agreed, fantastic to work with, bit wasteful on sappy areas, but on a big job like this you can hide a lot of the poorer timber.

The finish is a semi matt lacquer by the way.

I'm trying to persuade the client to have a new kitchen, that will be stunning if he goes for it.

like working with it aswell rob wish all timber was as easy and pleasurable,but then again would take the fun out of the job if it was all easy :D

looks fantasic senior, not bad in 320 hours either. just interested in your timber supplier. We got 30 cube for a kitchen yesterday and 60% of the whole lot had to be thrown out. Some pieces were 100% sap.

orangetlh":1yuf2r6x said:
looks fantasic senior, not bad in 320 hours either. just interested in your timber supplier. We got 30 cube for a kitchen yesterday and 60% of the whole lot had to be thrown out. Some pieces were 100% sap.

Out of interest -who were you using? Did they think that the 100% sapwood was acceptable?

Cheers

Tim

Senior, that is a stunning job done, What were the main problems that you had in the construction?
Over here in france you can buy plank sawn walnut , air dried, at about £850 on the cubic metre . How much is it in U.K now?

Decklan

Not sure of the exact price but about £38 cu ft for 1", bit more for 1 1/4"
No real problems in construction, just a lot of planning ahead in the design and cutting list.

A word of warning I was really chuffed with how this went together, no mistakes, next job drew a line on the wall for the builders to put in a window, only micalculated by 100mm :shock: :shock: I've got around it but I had a sleepless night worrying about it.

senior
you really do some excellent work and must be very well thought of in the area where you live {wherever that is }
love to see proper craftmans quality workmanship as most of the stuff i see nowadays is all MDF {industrial cardboard or mdfluff as we know it}
keep up the good work and pictures
regs
mel

WOW! Senior that is really fantastic work! I can only dream of work like that. Unfortunitely most of my work is the fluff or pine with only a few projects in proper wood. Mind you after seeing your work I think I shall take up embroidery. :lol: It is nice to see such quality work on such a large scale too. Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back