What to do with 40cu ft of walnut!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mailee":3slyi8wb said:
after seeing your work I think I shall take up embroidery. :lol:

Now that is something I will look forward to seeing pictures of :lol:
(not quite sure which forum it should be in,though :wink: )

Andrew

tim, was James Latham in Yate. Pulled out 14 boards of solid sap today. Looked like returned stock they were fobbing off. luckily they will accept it back but only if its been unsawn or planed. Just a pain to sort through it all administrate it.

Very nice work . I love the detail around the turned sections , adding those small mitres really makes a piece i think . Top class craftmanship !

That's absolutely stunning work, Senior.

What fascinates me is is amount of measuring, head scratching, calculating, and sleepless nights you must have had working out how the whole thing was going to be built, taken apart, finished, and then re-assembled on site with not a joint-line visible. Forgive me for asking some impertinant questions.

Did you actually assemble the whole thing in the workshop or just build and then break down one section at a time and trust to your measurements?

Is all the carcassing solid walnut or did you use veneered board?

What sort of staged payment plan do you suggest agreeing with the client for a job of this size? Ten week's work takes a lot of funding!

In my cabinet making I am starting to make the move from just making one-off free-standing pieces to taking on more large projects including fitting like kitchens and bedrooms. Work such as yours is an inspiration to me but I am terrified of taking on more than I can chew. I hope you can help me make the mental leap.

Cheers
Brad

Brad- it basically is 6 top boxes, 8 wardrobes, posts, coving and skirting. All assembled and connected on site. Everything is done on measurements, its the only way to do it, theres never enough room in a workshop to set something like this up and if there is you have too big a workshop.

The secret is knowing how it all joins together without big joins showing, all the joining screws are hidden behind hinges. Practice makes you very confident that these large pieces will fit ok, but mistakes do happen from time to time, I always think overcoming mistakes is one of the most important factors in this business.

With regards to payment stages, this actually only took 4 weeks as there are two of us in the business, 160hrs each, we normally take a third deposit, a third on delivery and a third on completion. However this customer did half (deposit) and half.

If you start to take on bigger jobs my advice would be to spend hours on your cutting list, and really think about how each unit or part is going to join on to the next. Make sure you incorperate scribes into the job so that you have some room to play with.
If I can advise you in any way feel free to pm me.

So it's all quite simple then! :lol:

Thanks for that, Senior. I think the secret is to break a big job like this down in one's mind into it's componant sections.

The first kitchen I made terrified me until I just thought of it as 10 cupboards which happened to be screwed together. After that it went fine.

Your payment system makes sense. I've been taking a 25% deposit, 25% when work starts, and 50% on completion. I think on jobs where there is fitting involved I'll start asking for 25% on delivery. That would help my cash-flow, which to be honest is my biggest single problem.

Thanks for the ongoing offer of help; I'll try not to bug you too much!

Cheers
Brad

Cash flow can be a problem, especially if you got £1000's of materials tied up in a job, but provided that you know there are sufficient funds and a profit coming in eventually from the job, you shouldn't refuse it on the grounds of cash flow.

Most business work by having to use overdraft facilities, I have a future project where I will need a large overdraft facility as I have offerred the client 30day terms, the reason being that the size of the job is too good to turn down or lose because I was not prepared to offer terms.

Latest posts

Back