what table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
don't know if this is right forum but here goes,any suggestions on a good table saw for cutting pieces for segmented turning,i have up to £300 to spend.
johnluc

Hi johnluc,
I would myself rather use a bandsaw to cut the segments for your turning. Using a table saw might be quite dangerous, with the small size you will need to cut. I would count your fingers after you have finished cutting.
Play safe and look to a bandsaw. You will not need to buy a big one, if all you want to do is segment cutting. Then again if the woodturning bug bits like it bit me, it will not be long before you will want a bigger saw. Think it through well before you buy.

Good luck with you project :D

Hi JohnLuc

A friend uses one he picked up quite cheaply from B&Q... £60 if I recall correctly!!! He was advised not to use a bandsaw... accuracy problems
:wink:
I don't do segmented but it seems that the sled jig is prob more important... that said, the better the saw, the better the performance.

On a quick trip to La Belle France tomorrow... longer stay coming up in spring so if you're up for a visit send me a pm...

Hi Johnluc,

I recon the blade is more important than the saw. I recently bought a new blade for my table saw and it is like using a new machine!!! :D

As for the dangers of using a table saw, confidence, an acurate sled/guide fence and a good push stick will keep the finger count at 10! :wink:

Richard

NickWelford":2pwbidns said:
Hey, Graham - is that a Peterborough based turning section bash you're offering?

:lol:

Non!

...might be going up to Scotland soon... just seems logical to pop in to see any other turners en route... likewise on the France trip....

Hi Graham,
just got back from the Dordoigne. Met a Swedish guy there who makes this incredible furniture from old wine barrels and vats. A really skilled craftsman who is heavily into recycling, he makes these amazing lights out of old bean tins with a mini acetyline torch as well. Didn't see any turned stuff but there seems to be a lot of othwer crafts, wood, metal and fabric.

Pete

Back