What spacing / reveal can I get away with on wardrobe doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexusOdy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted, been busy with work and kids etc so not been up to much on the wood butchering side.

I have in the last few days built some shaker style wardrobe doors to replace the Cumquats built ins that came with the house. They are to be painted so are 25mm MDF with 9mm panels and movements isn't a factor in this question. Which is...

What spacing / reveal can I get away with if using standard Euro cabinet hinges?

I probably should have asked this question before I made the doors. As its stands they are a snug fit. There doors are 445mm each in pairs that open away from each other and as they stand theres probably 2-3mm total spacing left, right and centre combined.

I dont want to fit the hinges and find they bind on the hinge side or clash in the centre, but also I don't want bigger gaps than I need to.

HexusOdy":38yaxz90 said:
I probably should have asked this question before I made the doors. As its stands they are a snug fit. There doors are 445mm each in pairs that open away from each other and as they stand theres probably 2-3mm total spacing left, right and centre combined...
Haven't used a lot of 25mm for doors, but that'd be tight. With 22mm I generally work to 4-5mm difference between the door widths (per pair) and the opening width, so ~1.5mm gap all round (1/16th" roughly) 2mm max. I'd be concerned about binding with 25mm and those clearances.

Are they painted already? Can they be trimmed?

P

No not painted already so I could trim them, although there is a 3rd door and I dont want to trim them too much and have noticeably different stile widths.

I think what I will do is take off the right hand side of the frame as I had to make and fix a new one to the wall. Easier to run that through the thicknesser I think.

Are they inset or overlay doors? If inset can you cut a back angle to give clearance on opposite side to hanging side then can have as small a gap as you want

They are inset.

I know with a butt hinge I could bevel the back edge for clearance but I wasn't sure if I needed to with Euro hinges as the pivot point and angles are different.

If using Blum hinges you can look at their online catalogue and it gives you all the clearances and offsets etc for all thicknesses of doors, can take some working out though and still best to do a test run to be sure.

https://www.blum.com/gb/en/02/40/40/

Doug

Back