What size screws for fixing faceplates to Record 52 1/2 vice? - 5/16" BSW don't fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just checked the threads in the front and rear jaws of my Record 52 1/2 and they are definitely 5/16 BSW.....My vice is circa from the 1930's....not sure if the threads changed on later models...?

If the threads are different on your vice, it's likely either someone has drilled & tapped out the font jaw to fit bigger fixings or perhaps someone has used parts from 2 different vices to make one good one....?

Screw a piece of wooden dowel (roughly trimmed with a knife works perfectly as uneven edges deform more easily) into the bolt hole, when you screw it out again you will see thread marks on the dowel. This will let you count the tpi. From there you should be able to identify the thread.

Our works inspection dept. Used to have a quick setting silicon rubber for taking impressions of internal features such as 'O' seal groves and threads. A bit of chewing gum will also work in an emergency if you let it get reasonably hard, not as good but it does work.

Alternatively, glue wooden face plates to the vice and forget about about them. They should last for years!
Plasticine can be pressed into service. 😉

Pete

Is there a possibility someone has tried to screw M8 bolts into it (they being the most common bolt of that size someone is likely to have at hand) and has deformed the threads with overenthusiastic stilsoning?

I am guessing you have tried the bolts from both directions with no difference.

Do you have spare bolts? If you grind two gashes up the side of the bolt with a Dremel, and put a long taper onto it, it can be used as a poor man's tap to chase the threads out. The better the quality of the bolt, the better this works. Otherwise, maybe purchase a tap.

Latest posts

Back