Record wood vice linings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Gavlar

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
hi all,

I have a Record 52 and a 52 1/2 vice, both vintage, recently acquired for the bench I am currently building. My query concerns the fitting of the jaw linings/cheeks.

Both have 5/16 Whitworth threaded holes, which implies that the linings are supposed to be fixed by machine screws or bolts inserted through the lining and into the vice jaw. This is how the previous owner has done it, see photo, However, that means holes in the linings to recess the screw heads, plus they are a pain to change (large screwdriver needed, not enough room to use it). There's a nice thread here where it's suggested to use magnets to attach the linings instead. Or is it better to ignore the threaded holes and use woodscrews from the outer faces of the jaw, as the newer models seem to do?

I'm tempted by the magnets, but they might allow the linings to move under pressure, and is that a good or bad thing?

Help please from any owners who have wrestled with the same dilemma!

thanks
Gavin

Attachments

mikej460

Established Member
Reaction score
I installed new beech linings into mine 15 years ago but I've forgotten how I did it. I'll take a look tomorrow and get back to you.

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
Suggest ignoring the screw-thread and a stubby woodscrew from the 'newer' (metal) side (although I have a couple of woodworking vices from about 1860s - not Record - that have holes with no thread and screw chamfers obviously meant to be screwed in from the iron side into the wood - so not that new, just two schools of thought).

But then it's much easier for the rear jaw to fit the wood before attaching to bench

Last edited:

Alpha-Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 52.5 and a 53, I used countersunk hex-drive machine screws (5/16ths UNC) on both. It works well, so why bother with anything else? I ran a tap through the treads to clean them out.

These from Spalding fasteners, great quality, no complaints after 2 years:

Edit: Looks like they were 5/16ths.

Last edited:

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 52.5 and a 53, I used countersunk hex-drive machine screws (3/8ths UNC) on both. It works well, so why bother with anything else? I ran a tap through the treads to clean them out.

These from Spalding fasteners, great quality, no complaints after 2 years:
Where does one buy whitworth screws, or are they from a vintage stock?

Alpha-Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Where does one buy whitworth screws, or are they from a vintage stock?
They are new, I think for certain sizes the old/vintage car/equipment market is big enough that they are still viable.

Nigel Burden

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 52 1/2 and have never had problems removing the jaw. There is sufficient room to get a fairly large screwdriver, all be it at a slight angle, between the jaws. I also have a couple of old screwdriver bits with tapered square ends for fitting in a brace. These can be used with an adjustable wrench where space is a bit limited.

Alternatively, dismantle the vice to remove them. They don't need to be tightened too tight when you put the new ones.

Nigel.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just counterbore the holes in the jaws and use set screws with a socket to drive them. it's not difficult. I bought the screws at a local steel yard.

Incidentally, I've used hardwood linings for as long as I've had a bench ......... up til last time when I used spruce. Softer is better as there's less likelihood of bruising anything.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 52E and it has hardwood jaws fixed with wood screws. I have expendable drop in soft wood jaws that drop in and are held by the hardwood ones. As I use the vice for all sorts of things, they get replaced from time to time - looks like replacement soon ! They are cocked up so you can see ewhat they are.

Attachments

Gavlar

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I like the drop-in jaws idea! Also yes, hex head or allen key screws would work better than slotted, I'll do that.
cheers all

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
AlphaDave - add the vintage railway world into that list too. And that is not just steam but early diesels too.
Rob

Latest posts