What sells?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillRiseley

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys some nice stuff on here and loads of info for me to read about.

I have been turning a little while now but want to try and sell stuff at craft fairs and the like.

So the question, whats the best thing to sell?

have had luck with honey sticks and small bowls in the past but what do the experts think? also what sort of prices are you getting for things?

At craft fairs? precious little unless you are selling at silly prices. Pens are about the only thing that seem to sell easily. Decent, quality work that has sensible prices on them are at best admired, or ignored. I don't do craft fairs but stick to the larger shows where people come with a view to seeing quality handmade goods.

Don't forget that if you intend to sell your work anywhere be it fairs or online you MUST register with the taxman as self employed. Big fine if you don't. They are getting antsy and doping checkups at a lot of the fairs now as well so it isn't worth the risk. Decent fairs and shows will also want you to have PPI insurance of a minimum of £1m many it's £2m.

Pete

Ha ha, you'll be doing well if you can make enough at a craft fair to trouble the tax man!! :lol: :lol:

Usual advice is to have plenty of smaller things like light pulls, spinning tops, pens, fruit etc. these things, well made, will sell much easier than large bowls and artistic stuff. It's all about quality of work and then presentation of your table. Remember, people are a bit thick at times so a 'fruit bowl' will sell better than a bowl and an obvious money box or child's first tooth box will sell better than a nice decorative box. You will soon get bored of the question "what is it for?"

Hope this helps

Richard

Richard Findley":2eu5fmub said:
Ha ha, you'll be doing well if you can make enough at a craft fair to trouble the tax man!! :lol: :lol:
Richard
True but if you sell you have to register. Plus sign is if you have other employment any losses you make selling can be offset and result in a tax rebate.

I agree that small things sell and if you also dress your table, put things in any bowls etc, it helps.

Pete

HMRC find it easier to go after small sellers than huge companies avoiding their taxes. Liability insurance needn't be expensive, but in the current "sue-me" culture can often be necessary. Picture the scene..... you turn a lovely handle for a sgian-dubh and someone picks the piece up to admire it, only for someone else to walk into the business end.
You can imagine the fall-out.
Most craft fairs have at least one turner selling their wares. It would be worth visiting a few and watching how much of their stuff is actually moving before you commit to anything.
Friends are always telling me I should sell my turnings. At least they do until I ask them which piece they want to buy.........

Bodrighy":3t2e5y94 said:
Richard Findley":3t2e5y94 said:
Richard
True but if you sell you have to register. Plus sign is if you have other employment any losses you make selling can be offset and result in a tax rebate.

I agree that small things sell and if you also dress your table, put things in any bowls etc, it helps.

Pete

Pete,

Sorry - but you don't have to "register" with anyone, if you make any money you have to declare it on your tax form that is all. I've been doing it for quite a while.

Neil

Neil Farrer":2g0hay7l said:
Bodrighy":2g0hay7l said:
Richard Findley":2g0hay7l said:
Richard

Pete

Pete,

Sorry - but you don't have to "register" with anyone, if you make any money you have to declare it on your tax form that is all. I've been doing it for quite a while.

Neil

I'd check up on that Neil, I cannot say specifically that if you have other employment you need to register as self employed as well but as most people have tax taken at source they would need to submit a tax return stating their income and outgoings for the things they sell. I had this straight from the horses mouth when I started selling four years ago and I suppose things may have changed. Maybe the registering as self employed is not necessary, I was told it was what I needed to do so being an obedient citizen (and not fancying the penalties of disobedience) I did so.

PPI Insurance is not compulsory but as stated earlier a wise move. I pay less than £40 a year for a £5m policy that covers me for my work, displays and for demonstrations.

Pete

It's not a legal requirement to register as self employed within a fiscal year. It is to submit a tax return if you aren't inside a PAYE scheme (which of course as self employed you're not)

The IR "like" individuals to notify them if there is any change in their tax status and of course self employment is one of those. But the buck stops at the tax return

Virtually anything sells, the problem is finding that person who wants the item enough to fork out what you are asking, as others have said, you will get far more admirers than purchasers. However, I have found in the past that if you have a "stall" then it is well to keep a couple of things in mind.

Have some high quality and well priced items, have some functional items (more of these) have some decorative items (boxes, unless they are awesome do not seem to go well) have a lot of wooden fruit.

For some reason, people who admire the pricey stuff, but are not feeling like parting with upwards of £50 will often then happily buy a £6.00 (or whatever you wish) Apple, Pear etc. But be sure to have plenty as nothing puts people off buying more than an empty looking stall, they think they will spoil your display by buying something!

While these are by no means like some kind of mantra, they do reflect my own experience of that kind of selling environment, the Apples and Pears will be your bread and butter money.

I did a WIP on turning apples ages ago that you might find useful:

fruit-wip-t38385.html

If you've never made one before it'll probably take you an hour to make one. Once you get the hang of it you might get it down to 15 mins? Do one to get to grips then make a small batch, doing each stage to all of them as you go.

Top tip, buy a good apple and pear first and study them... I bet you will be surprised

Hth

Richard

Richard Findley":74h02yau said:
I did a WIP on turning apples ages ago that you might find useful:

fruit-wip-t38385.html

If you've never made one before it'll probably take you an hour to make one. Once you get the hang of it you might get it down to 15 mins? Do one to get to grips then make a small batch, doing each stage to all of them as you go.

Top tip, buy a good apple and pear first and study them... I bet you will be surprised

Hth

Richard
Thanks Richard...I'll look into that. Bob

I think the guys over in the US have more of a handle on selling at craft fairs from what I read elsewhere. I think there are many things to consider, but from what I gather, you need lots of items, from the cheap to not so cheap. Name plaques, key rings and such are personalised to a certain extent. Wooden toys etc. The location may give clues as what to include as well as which season (winter - Christmas) (spring - religious crosses) Sports events, social events (royal birth) etc. I assume you've taken all the legal stuff into consideration, but that's up to you. These may be obvious or not, hope it helps though.

Gary

already self employed so do my own returns anyway but figured while im quite may be able to atleast make some money from it? I dont want to be a spindle monkey just pumping out the same thing every day though or i may get bored. cheers for all the responses guys and that apple wip is awesome.

Another good seller is ear ring stands, quick and easy to make as well if you have indexing on your lathe. Try and focus on good designs. If you are doing craft fairs you will see a lot of well made but boring items for sale and having decent shapes and forms even with basic simple things makes a huge difference.

Pete

Back