What SCMS please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a Triton 2000 mostly overhead as a cross-cut saw. However, I just had the steel under-frame, stolen from outside my workshop. Rather than mess about finding or making replacements, I thought about moving on and buying something like this:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-dw777 ... rod725223/

They should be back in stock, by the time I have scraped up the cash! So, has anyone any advice on this model please?

Also interested in:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch- ... prod32409/

Or should I 'upscale' a bit; bearing in mind I will be lucky to get 15 more years of woodworking. (Mind you 'Callaghan' I do feel lucky!)

Regards
John :D

Some thoughts, depending on what your application is:

Never liked the plastic guards.
I have an electro beckum and the 'side extension'. c/w graduated scale, only works from the LHS
I have seen some that work from either side.

Easy of removal of top guard for cleaning the guard return mechanism is a consideration.
The final one is the position of the handle: mine is horizontal which is grand, don't like the vertical ones, harder on wrist and shoulder.
HTH

Carlow52":3s5ap6r5 said:
Some thoughts, depending on what your application is:

Never liked the plastic guards.
I have an electro beckum and the 'side extension'. c/w graduated scale, only works from the LHS
I have seen some that work from either side.

Easy of removal of top guard for cleaning the guard return mechanism is a consideration.
The final one is the position of the handle: mine is horizontal which is grand, don't like the vertical ones, harder on wrist and shoulder.
HTH
Thanks Carl (?)

My requirements are mostly for furniture making in my shop. No site work, so not much use for compound cuts, once my kitchen is done. But it's nice to have the facility.

Mainly cross-cutting to length; face framing and drawer sides at one extreme to 12" x 2" rough-sawn lumber, at the other! So I need a good width of cut. The model suggested by Bob is attractive, but it's going to depend on price of course.

I have always been tempted by de-Walt Mike, but I defo need something that will cope with rough sawn up to 12" wide. So it's either that or the Bosch., which because of my narrow shop, is winning ATM! How long I wonder before they arrive over here, and what will the sharks want to charge us for them? :lol:

Thanks fellas.

regards
John :)

Paid £180 for a refurb 10" Hitach,

51AFKMBGYPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The chap who sells them (sheffield way) also does the 8" and 12" ones. The 12" one being the one that Wizer got.

Can't fault it - especially for the price I paid! :lol:

Dibs

I've just had an email from my inside contact in Bosch.
The new Axial glide saw will not be available in UK until next year and they don't know when yet.

Bob :cry:

John wrote;

I have always been tempted by de-Walt Mike, but I defo need something that will cope with rough sawn up to 12" wide. So it's either that or the Bosch., which because of my narrow shop, is winning ATM! How long I wonder before they arrive over here, and what will the sharks want to charge us for them?

The 718 crosscuts 14" (16" with extension) and a maximum 61/2" depth for crown moulding etc.

Cheers

Mike

I've been very happy with my Makita LS1013, which I bought partly because it was repeatedly referenced in reviews as one of the most accurate and reliable SCMS available. I believe it has been replaced by the LS1018. Capacity 305mm same as your Bosch link and price around £390 online. Could be worth a look anyhow :)

Another vote for the Makita LS1013. There's also an laser-line model out now (stick an 'L' on the end of that number) so, I don't know why the laser-less saw has crept back up to £500 again, in some places?!

It's worth every penny and I'd still recommend you to look at other Makita saws, even if you cannot afford this one. Definitely got for something with 300mm cross-cutting capacity (though, you will lose some if you fit a sacrificial fence). I'd also consider going for a 10in saw, so you get a good 3in depth of cut (quite often, up to as much as 90mm, as on the LS1013).

If only Makita did this model with an induction motor... That's the only real negative I have to say about it (not that the soft-start motor is as bad as some others), ignoring the obvious things like the rails sticking out the back.

Latest posts

Back