What people sell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been visiting the daughter and dragged tom places out and about including shops. I was unaware of such things under the impression everything came from the inter web!

Where we were we went to a craft centre and of course I was drawn as if by magnet to the woodturned items.

I was amazed at just how poor the quality was and if shown on this site the stuff would have been lambasted. The items offered for sale were poorly finished, poorly shaped with bowls showing tooling marks, curves were in bands rather than continuous curves. On the underside, chucking points were left in the rawest of conditions. Chips and unsealed undersides, outside of the chucking points in evidence. The items were so poor that my wife and daughter were pointing out the poor elements.

It prompts two thoughts. Firstly thanks to everyone on here that have within a year taught me to turn to higher standards. Had it not been for this forum I may well have gone the same way and not appreciated good from bad. I credit the forum for creating within me a Turner of passable standard in just over the year I have been playing with the spinny thing.

Secondly, what if anything should be said to Turners out there besmirching our craft.

The turner was not in attendance, the produce was on show in a fixed craft retail centre

Given my comments I have deliberately not detailed where I was

Seems par for the course. How were they priced though?

I'm never sure if its just a sign of the times or if they really don't know better. My trip to Breville yesterday once again told me that I am well underpriced still. Simple bowls of reasonable quality were €40-50. The real quality items however were less than I expected. Maybe there is a price beyond which its just not worth going over here. A superb spiral vase, fully carved out and decorated, about 60cm high and 30cm diameter was €350. In London I could see that getting £750 at least.

However, although there were a few a lesser quality, it was still reasonable with no obvious rough bits although the finish certainly wasn't exactly over the top.

I am still not sure if these people really give the good turners a bad name. In every market there is a full range from tat to excellent. Why should turning be any different? Its down to personal pride to a degree, plus the amount demanded of course. A lot of old furniture makers left the bits that were not on show a bit rough and just polished up the visible.

Poorly finished work certainly offends my sense of rightness but how many of the punters out there care so long as it 'looks nice' and they can afford it?

Not sure.

I went to a craft place a little while back and was "given away" by my "turners rub" of the bottom of a bowl to see how flush it was!

Personally I was chuffed to have been picked out as being a turner! But this persons wares were really good... something for me to aspire to!

However, when I spot things that are turned badly....I do point it out to my partner, but don't feel I should to the person who turned it....I was that bad once!!

Gordon - prices were being asked at the full value end of the range with good sized bowls priced at £40-£50 ish, small snack sized bowls in the £15-£20 range.

I understand your comments about the bit not seen being left, but seriously what I was looking at today was only saved by some nice wood, but I kept looking at it and thinking what a wasted blank or wasted opportunity. The collection should have covered the learning curve and some, but all pieces were coarse. An experienced turner may have the opinion that the base does not matter but the rest of it had no excuses.

Melinda

Be sure your thumb will catch you out!

How is it going with the new lathe? Is the order in yet?

No, it's not ordered yet.....

I had to completely rethink my little shed and make room (the mini moto has been downgraded to living in the rented garage across town :cry: ) but on the plus side, it's given me much more room.

I have to also build a bench to put the lathe on, as it's nearly 3 times heavier than the old one.... the old one was on a plastic racking type shelf... not ideal, but didn't know if it was just a phase!!! :lol:
The legs are cut, the worktop has been sourced (thanks to my local freecycle) but the rain is playing a big part in the not building of it at the moment... every time I get stuck in...the rain comes and I have to move everything back in the shed :evil:

My 2p worth

I would not consider selling anything that's not perfect or let it out of my workshop

Its not finished until its perfect

If each stage of making a item is completed 100% before moving on to the next stage it will end up perfect

If you leave chisel marks in a bowl and move onto sanding you will end up with chisel marks

Simples :wink:

Blister":1u3ah1nr said:
My 2p worth

I would not consider selling anything that's not perfect or let it out of my workshop

Its not finished until its perfect

If each stage of making a item is completed 100% before moving on to the next stage it will end up perfect

If you leave chisel marks in a bowl and move onto sanding you will end up with chisel marks

Simples :wink:
Sounds easy enough doesn't it?

But I'm sure its a matter of pride with you. Human nature being what it is, the 'fast buck' will always appeal to some. Balancing time against income will also have to apply at times in the real world. Every bit of work would, in a perfect world, be an exhibition piece.

Sadly, I'm not convinced the bit of the world I live in is quite perfect (Bits of it are close :D )

Latest posts

Back