What next?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24dual

Established Member
Reaction score
Just setting up my workshop and was wondering if think i need to buy a table saw?

Currently i have a circular saw and bandsaw. The only trouble is space!! Can i do alot of things on my circular saw that you could do on a table saw?

Circular saw used for..............?
Bandsaw used for.............?
Tablesaw used for............?

All depends on your woodworking style.

in my case

Circular saw used for..............? breaking down large sheets ready for table saw.
Bandsaw used for.............? Not a lot really but I would not be without it, curved cuts and re-sawing also metalwork
Tablesaw used for............? Virtually everything: it is the core of the workshop, dimensioning, joints, dados, tenons, cutting concave mouldings.

Not everyone will agree with this.......

If you have limited space, only install things you really NEED. You haven't got room for things you want, but don't really need. If you pack the shop with machines you don't really need very often, where are you going to stand the project you're working on?

Could you live with handtools and hand-held power tools? They can be stored away - machines are less easy to lose.

There's no 'right' answer to this. Some people would be happy to have the tablesaw and lose the space. Personally, I'd rather have a couple of handsaws and trestles, and keep space clear. Only you can decide your answer.

Axminster do a "foldaway" site type table saw that has its own trestle legs that then fold flat to store it, and to be honest it'll be better quality in the long run than the one you linked.

Is there something you're trying to make that you don't think can be achieved with your current equipment?

A bandsaw and a circular saw can take you a long, long way in woodworking!

My table saw is the most used item in the workshop. I made sure when I built the workshop that I could comfortably pass an 8ft board from one side of the TS to the other. It is the piece of kit I'd miss the most... by far.

Back