What N0legs did next, How did I do ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've been playing again. I bought a little lathe last year and had a bit of a play with it. I turned a few little bits and bobs, you know just to try it ( and me ) out.
I did a little oak job for M&D last year and had a little left over, so planed and glued it into a 2" square blank approx 3' long.
I decided I would have a proper go, so drew out a spindle. I didn't know what I was going to do with the spindle but went for it anyway.
I was so pleased with it I thought this can't be left in the practice corner so I decided on a little table, mostly inspired by Norm after watching his candle/night stand episode.
I made the feet up next from more leftover oak and joined them to the spindle, now we have something that will stand up.
This was all last September. So fast forward to now, and following a few comments about finishing stuff up before starting a new project i decided to get a top on it. Another oak board was obtained so set to work.
This is what I've come up with.
I pretty sure there's a few mistakes and I'm expecting you all who view to point them out, but that's fine, I'm learning.
Please feel free to comment.

The joints in the top could have been a bit better and I'm not 100% about the edge detail I put on it. I tried a different style but it didn't work out, had some breakout issues, never mind.
Also the joint at the feet could have been better, I didn't machine a large enough flat ( or I made the feet a little bit thick for the flat I had ) but you live and learn. Sliding dovetail joint to attach them.
I made the top up but when I thicknessed it, it looked a little bit thin when I placed it on the leg. So a bit more cutting and joining and I made up the "boss" to help the transition between leg and table top. I turned it and I'm really quite happy how it came out. Bored a hole in it for a mortise to fit the tenon on the leg.
Will get some finish on it in a few days after a good sanding and will post the finished pics.

Looks pretty good for a beginner. Just one tip - it would have been better for the grain on the top in each segment to be parallel with the outer edge. That way you would have had less end grain to manage, always tricky.

Hi Nick, yes that's the biggest fault.
I realized the problem when I had cut the final piece, but I had seen this grain and style elsewhere but now I'm done I guess that it must have been a veneered panel.
Thanks for the comments.

It has legs! I'm upset. That's false advertising. ;)

Seriously, that's nice for a first bash IMO. Looks really good.

Nice work on the turning, and looks a nice table now. However, I have to offer the criticism that I think you've chosen the wrong method for making the top. I'd expect those mitred joints to open up significantly over time ... I've seen that happen often with that type of construction.

This is the kind of thing I mean, no matter which way you orientate the grain. The finished square size of assembled parts in these two images is only about 12" on each edge, so even small assemblies can develop the gaps I'm talking about.

As you mention, a veneered panel would probably have been the better way to go. Slainte.

I reckon that looks pretty good.
I always thought I would only want a short lathe but then keep seeing things that make me glad I got a longer one.

morfa":1fs5fsxp said:
It has legs! I'm upset. That's false advertising. ;)

Seriously, that's nice for a first bash IMO. Looks really good.

Sorry about that :lol:
Thanks.

Sgian Dubh":11l8iwgp said:
Nice work on the turning, and looks a nice table now. However, I have to offer the criticism that I think you've chosen the wrong method for making the top. I'd expect those mitred joints to open up significantly over time ... I've seen that happen often with that type of construction.

This is the kind of thing I mean, no matter which way you orientate the grain. The finished square size of assembled parts in these two images is only about 12" on each edge, so even small assemblies can develop the gaps I'm talking about.

As you mention, a veneered panel would probably have been the better way to go. Slainte.

Thanks Richard.
The photos really tell a tale there, so I guess I can expect some movement.
Got me thinking now whether to scrap the top and make up a veneered one before I glue this up and can still make changes.

Grahamshed":2iuistz4 said:
I reckon that looks pretty good.
I always thought I would only want a short lathe but then keep seeing things that make me glad I got a longer one.

Thanks Graham.
I think as a beginner you need to be able to try the lot. My lathe is only a cheap ebay buy but it has been good enough to get me hooked.
The best part is all these little off cuts we get can be something when you get them on the lathe.

Woodmonkey":3s4n9p1s said:
I like it. How did you cut the sliding dovetail sockets in the bottom of the spindle?

Hi, I made a "saddle" type jig that sat on the lathe bed. It had a slot for a guide bush to ride in for the router,
I measured the circumference of my faceplate and divided by 3 for the setting out of the angles. It all went well but I did have a bit of a sweat on whilst doing the cuts, praying I didn't ruin my nice turning :lol:
Thanks for the comments.

Been thinking about this little table of mine and fully taken on board Richards comments about the joints opening and Nicks points about the end grain on the perimeter.
If I was to make a new top from veneered MDF would I cut the panel into an octagon, add some solid oak as the edging and then cut it back into a circle or try to "wrap" the edge with some narrow oak bent/formed around it ?
Thanks all.

Hi

That's quite some project for a first attempt, well done =D> =D>

I expect your house to have it's full complement of standard / table lamps and candlesticks in the near future with a nice Windsor rocking chair to follow :wink:

Regards Mick

I also think for a first attempt that is fab - really well done. If I can add my teeny little criticism too - I think it will be quite unstable when anything weighty is placed on the top - the diameter of the leg base looks much smaller than the diameter of the table. Please don't get downhearted though. Read any of my WIPs and you will see how many mistakes are made along the way!
Great work though!
Mark

morfa":2suhatug said:
What lathe did you get?

I quite fancy a lathe I have to say.

Mine is a Berlan, it's a German version of the Clarke lathe. It's actually quite well put together, the rubbish Chinese bolts are gone all to be replaced with proper metric ones and the steel is definitely thicker than on the Clarke ( a friend has a Clarke so I did some comparison ). There's something different with the motor/pulleys/headstock because I got a spare belt from Machine Mart and there was no way it was fitting, though the previous owner may have made these changes. It was a £42.00 win on ebay and collected it from Usk, I'm happy with it for now but will be upgrading when I get better at using it.

Spindle":1ds1ihte said:
Hi

That's quite some project for a first attempt, well done =D> =D>

I expect your house to have it's full complement of standard / table lamps and candlesticks in the near future with a nice Windsor rocking chair to follow :wink:

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick, I keep saying I'll refurnish the house :lol:
I would love to do a rocker, I can see me in it with pipe and slippers :lol:

gasman":2g4ik3th said:
I also think for a first attempt that is fab - really well done. If I can add my teeny little criticism too - I think it will be quite unstable when anything weighty is placed on the top - the diameter of the leg base looks much smaller than the diameter of the table. Please don't get downhearted though. Read any of my WIPs and you will see how many mistakes are made along the way!
Great work though!
Mark

Thanks, hey no worries about the comments I want the tips and tricks you guys can offer.
It's stability is not to bad to be honest I did put a lot of thought into the sizes ( my thoughts may be flawed though :lol: )
The top is 480 mm across and the feet have a 380 mm diameter, I figured that that would be ok.
I feel Mark II will be on it's way soon. Got the bug now #-o :lol:

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys.

n0legs":3l0w00nj said:
Been thinking about this little table of mine and fully taken on board Richards comments about the joints opening and Nicks points about the end grain on the perimeter.
If I was to make a new top from veneered MDF would I cut the panel into an octagon, add some solid oak as the edging and then cut it back into a circle or try to "wrap" the edge with some narrow oak bent/formed around it ?
Thanks all.
Sorry for the slow response - I'm taking some time off work, which means I've largely been ignoring things like email and forums.

Anyway, you could choose either option, but I suspect you might find the first choice easier. A third choice would be to cut the disk of MDF, veneer it, and then cut a series of short sections of solid wood to go around the edge, which would mean mitring the joints. You would also need to cut the inner edge of the solid parts into an arc that matches the circumference of the MDF disk, which can be tricky.

There are more options, but that's probably enough for now. Your construction choices really depend upon your ability and the desired finished appearance. If I wanted a solid wood top I wouldn't choose the method you've used, and I'd have the grain all running in one direction. However, you've made your top now, so I suggest you monitor it to see how it holds up. Perhaps in a few months you could come back this thread and report on that, ideally with an image or two. Slainte.

From the way you describe the lathe I doubt it has an outboard turning facility because otherwise for a solid wood finish you could have turned it (slowly and carefully of course). My lathe can turn diameters of 30" because the headstock swivels away from the bed. Can you swivel the headstock or turn it outboard?

Back