what mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 350£ to spend on a decent mitre saw however im scratching my head as to what to buy. Been looking at a dewalt however im wanting to know, is there better out there for the same money?

"Decent" is subjective. You're in that hinterland between the entry level saws and the more robust £500/600 Makita's, Dewalt's etc. I've heard some good things about Metabo and Hitachi saws recently in your price range, so they may be worth a look. I personally have a Makita LS1013 which is superb, but is very heavy , and I've read that the newer versions of this saw are not as good. Bit over your budget anyway. Don't know anything of the Dewalt's myself. Think the Metabo 305 is quite well received and is around the £350 mark. No experience myself however.

I had a couple of cheap ones and found quality poor so ended up buying a Bosch GCM 10 SD which is well built and very accurate. Prices vary wildly but if you shop around you may get one within budget.

Graham.

There is a Makita LS1013 for sale on e-bay uk with a delivery option at the moment, has two days left to run on the bidding, may be worth a punt, can't post a link for fear of reprisals.

Mike

..I had this dilemma a couple of years ago.....looked at a wide variety of offerings, most of which got ruled out for various reasons. Ended up with the Metabo 254. I needed something a bit larger capacity than my old 205mm, and something that was not too heavy and had a depth control. So far I have not been disappointed.....

You haven't said what cutting capacity you need but I would echo Stevebod's comment on the Metabo mitre saws, the KGS254 is around the £200 mark.

I bought the smaller Metabo KGS216 from Amazon during a warehouse sale and I have been more than suprised at just how good it is. £149 at the moment on Amazon, my "as new" one was £110 delivered and though the box was a bit scuffed, it was unmarked.

They are Made in China mitre saws, much like most in the sub £500-1000 price range but comes with a 3 year warranty and the fit and finish is excellent for a budget saw. Mine was spot on out of the box which is more than can be said for my Kapex.

if i were you id look at the bosch gcm10 s on axminster - i was almost going to buy it this year but couldn't gather the funds. Mitre saws are tough because they can seldom cut perfect 90/45 for precision work, unless you get up to festool standard -

https://www.toucantools.co.uk/festool_k ... NoQAvD_BwE

Also, bigger saws (305mm) tend to be a little less accurate due to blade deflection in motion

JWD":12fxh0mo said:
Mitre saws are tough because they can seldom cut perfect 90/45 for precision work, unless you get up to festool standard -

Not a fact, my Makita LS1013 cuts perfect 90's and 45's, sufficiently well for picture frames, I bought a mitre guillotine but seldom use it, just make sure whatever you buy has an adjustable fence to enable fettling to the blade.

Mike

MikeJhn":3be3iaap said:
JWD":3be3iaap said:
Mitre saws are tough because they can seldom cut perfect 90/45 for precision work, unless you get up to festool standard -

Not a fact, my Makita LS1013 cuts perfect 90's and 45's, sufficiently well for picture frames, I bought a mitre guillotine but seldom use it, just make sure whatever you buy has an adjustable fence to enable fettling to the blade.

Mike

Yep, just done a kitchen for my niece and the crown mouldings were bang on using my 1013, same as they always have been since i bought it. Great piece of kit.

I've got a Gcm12sd for sale under your budget (originally 600 quid brand new). PM me if interested

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back