What make lathe is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipchaser

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody recognise this lathe, ebay item 180514956391? Currently £21 with just short of 5 days to go.

Is it a bargain lump of British iron or one to avoid?

Graham

Hi

I looks to be in the style of a Union Graduate / Harrison lathe, but not sure. These lathes where built to last. If you are interested in this then I would check to see if it is single or three phase, as a lot of these lathes were used in schools and production workshops.

Also I would not be surprised for the price to go up a lot, Graduates usually hit a few hundred quid.

Mark..

Hi Gitface

You may be right on the make? but I would have thought that any wood turner worth their salt and was selling this would have known/printed the make to bump up the price or interest.

But then again its user might have passed on and the wife might be selling of her hubbies machines?

This has a more of a square shape than the rounded shape of the Graduate.

If this is a bereavement sale, I would be very careful. OK if you got it for a few quid, you might make something of it and have a bargain.

But IMO I would wait for a better lathe, from a knowledgeable seller, who can answer any questions you might have.
It looks as if it needs a LOT of TLC!

This is what you should look for if you want a good lathe at a reasonable price:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/100509coronetmajor/

Plus you get a lot of woodworking operations thrown in. Don't know if this is still available, but if you can find a good Coronet Major, you have a great lathe.

John

:)

Hi and thanks for all the replies.

I am not interested in buying this, just curious to know what it might be. I looked through all the woodworking lathes at Lathes.co.uk and can't find one similar. I wonder if it might be an older Dominion A.L.Y. but can't find any pictures of that model on the web.

Did find a monster that might tempt blister or Wizer, the Wadkin models RS, RU and RUH. There is a Wadkin RS on ebay for £1800 but I don't think i will be making an offer :lol:

Graham

I think its a Union Jubillee which is like a small Graduate. £21 is cheap even if it doesn't work. You could probably sell the parts for more!!!

Cheers

Richard

Don't think it's a Jubilee, as from memory they didn't have that enlarged base to the head. Judging by the respirator on the outboard side, it's also quite small for a CI machine. Would make an excellent buy for someone prepared to put a bit of work into it.

I have a jubilee and would say that this isn't one, but it does have a lot of similarities...

For instance the bed, the right hand side legs, and the banjo do look exactly like the jubilee. Even the tool rest on the outboard side looks the same as the jubilee.

In fact the only bit that is different is the central column, the jubilee doesn't have a rounded top, and the motor isn't enclosed.

I would be interested to know what make it is. Maybe it's worth contacting the seller.

Check out his feedback. Sold a table saw for £11 or not as the feedback suggests. You may well win a good lathe for a knock down price but will the seller follow it through?

Benchwayze":3kcb6r8w said:
This is what you should look for if you want a good lathe at a reasonable price:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/100509coronetmajor/

Plus you get a lot of woodworking operations thrown in. Don't know if this is still available, but if you can find a good Coronet Major, you have a great lathe.
:)
But if you do buy one with the circular saw attachment, don't EVER forget to ensure the crown guard is in place when using the lathe. The possibilities of serious injury are endless :(

Latest posts

Back