What lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killingtime

Reaction score
Hello all I could do with some advice. I have been reading bit and bobs off ukworkshops for a while so I thought I would take the plunge and start asking thing too.
I have been pondering on getting a new lathe for some time now. I currently have a tekni something or other and it cant really keep up with what I want to do. Iv looked at some Axminster stuff, also considered the Graduate and many others. Currently looking at a myford mystro with variable speed but I can find little info on them. I like the idea of variable speed and turning off the side of the bed.
I like doing large out of balance stuff. Big bowls, platters, sculptural stuff etc and want something that will work hard.

Any ideas or thoughts welcome

Thanks

Hello

Now thats a question :mrgreen:

A lot depends on your budget

and what chucks do you already have ( Thread size ) do you want to use them on the new lathe ?

What size of lathe can you fit in your turning shop ?

Hi
The Budget is about 1k.
I have no chucks as the spindle thread is odd and I didn't think my current lathe was worth the faf.
Currently I can fit about 2 - 2.5 meters in length and probably the same depth (if I re-stack my wood collection. Again). But that sheds days are numbered! There is a chance I can use a corner of a carpentry workshop with access to three phase.

A couple of Qs that may help get to the best answer:
1. Is the £1k for the lathe only or lathe + chucks etc?
2. Do you want to do spindle work as well or can you keep your old lathe for that?

Making some assumptions - if you can keep your old lathe for spindle work then a short bed graduate may be worth looking at. If not then one of these may fit the bill as with the addition of a free standing tool rest at a later date, IIRC you can slide the headstock to the end of the bed and turn really large stuff (check this before buying though as I do not have one of these myself) although it is top dollar for your budget and does not leave any space for chucks etc.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod781099/

BRgds
S

Arr

You are in a no mans land with 1K for a new lathe , the one Simon mentioned above is about the only one in that price range new

Wivamac , Vicmarc , etc are all considerably more

Phil Irons is importing a new German machine http://www.philirons.co.uk/index.php?op ... Itemid=119

looks very nice but £1750

Looks like a hunt for a used Woodfast , Jet , or something along those lines

I would avoid the real old machines personally

I'm guessing you are looking at a used Mystro. As a Mystro user, I'm very happy with mine, although it's the five speed belt-change version. BUT, if you want cast iron everything, then it's probably not for you. There are also some issues with horizontal tailstock alignment, and this is on the older, red, made-in-the-UK version. But it did cost a lot less than your budget............
The main arguments that swayed me were the general build quality, the swivelling head and the nose thread that matches my Myford Super 7 metal lathe, which can be very handy for some applications.

Hi Simon
It would be nice to get a chuck at the same time, but iv made it this far withought so I should be able to last a little longer.... Maybe. I dont do very much spindle work but i might have the space to keep my current lathe if needs must. The AWVSWL1200 is one of the ones iv considered but iv been procrastinating a bit due to being tight! I think if i want new it might be the only way to get wat i want for what i can aford.

Hi Blister
The kit looks good but alas £1k is the top of the budget. Shame!

Hi Dick M
The Myfor is used but looks in good order its on ebay as " Wood turning lathe - Myford Mystro II - variable speed " it would be nice to know if you all think the price is right and how it would compair to the AWVSWL1200 .

Thanks to all
Tom

Hi Tom,

I would recommend the JET 1442. I have this lathe as does Richard Findlay.

Check out my website as it has a page dedicated to the set up of this lathe plus it will give you a look at how it all goes together etc.

Cheers,

Lee.

Killingtime":3j06aibq said:
Hi Simon

Hi Dick M
The Myfor is used but looks in good order its on ebay as " Wood turning lathe - Myford Mystro II - variable speed " it would be nice to know if you all think the price is right and how it would compair to the AWVSWL1200 .

Have no experience of the AWVSWL, so can't really compare. As to price, it's quite a bit more than I (possibly over-)paid for mine, but difficult to compare as mine is the belt-change version (at the moment - I've got the inverter, just need an appropriate motor and some time :D ) If you reckon that a variable speed drive plus motor is worth a couple of hundred pounds, it's probably not wildly expensive compared to prices I've seen realised for belt-change versions. Still more than I would pay, but that's from a real tightwad. It also has an included chuck, BUT it looks to me like it's actually an engineering chuck, with four independent jaws, which isn't much use for wood. It's also the pale blue version which is made "overseas" and for which there have been odd comments about finish compared to the earlier models.
It's been on the 'bay for quite a while now, so it might be worth making an offer?
And if it's anywhere near you, certainly worth asking the seller if you can go and look at it.

(Added a few minutes later) Just noticed it doesn't have the bowl turning extension to make use of the swivel head. So I'd say definitely over-priced (but see caveat about Scrooge like tendencies :wink: )

I think that has reinforced what I was thinking. Might be better to spend a bit more now and go with the AWVSWL. I stupidly called my closest Axminster and they have one in stock. Could be dangerous for the bank account if nothing else.

Many thanks

Im now the proud owner of an Axminster AWVSWL1200. The jump in power and quality has made turning even more pleasurable. Thanks to all for the advice I would still be procrastinating over it without.

Pic's and a report would be good for those who also might be tempted by that one!.....
Chris.

When I have figured out how to load pic's on plus have a camera handy I certainly will. You will get to see my now rather cramped and rickety workshop! It was rickety beforehand its nothing to do with the lathe. :lol:
Having gone from a weak and cheap lathe the variable drive, 2 horses and the cam-lock everything i feel like a new turner! :D
I have a van and unless you want to unpack it to cram it in a car at axminster I wouldn't collect it with anything else! You could always have it delivered but I don't know if it costs.
If you have a descent space and some good trestles or a solid table it wouldn't be to hard to assemble alone. But its an easy two man job to put it together. I managed with help from the misses who held the legs steady while I lifted the bed on (not a light lift tho). I also got the outboard turning extension. The bed part is not too bad but can vibrate a tad. The Banjo with the extra link in does the job but is not totally solid and it takes a bit more patience. Also the tool rest is extra. so unless you are desperate to turn over 18 inch I wouldn't rush to get one. You can just take the tail stock out and turn right at the end of the lathe as everything slides really easily.
The variable speed is a joy to have and I will never willingly go back to belt changing every time i want to speed up.
It will very willingly spin large blanks no matter what the shape. I would recommend bolting it down or as im going to, put a very heavy shelf in as it can get a bit of a tank slapper on. 8-[
It does do a fair job of compensating for resistance and seems to boost power when it slows down against the tool. Its very quiet too.
The cam-locks are strong and the banjo moves nicely. It doesn't hurt to rub down some of the edge's on the bed not a major job and not a must do thing.
All in all I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. Its unlikely I am going to have the money or the space for anything bigger and more powerful for a long time so if like me you don't have a huge budget but could stretch to a grand its a lot of lathe for the money!
Now I just need to find some quality turning time!

Back