What is this thing? Hand tool with rotatable hexagon and six different sized semicircular indents.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSC

Reaction score
We found this hand tool in the bottom of a kitchen drawer, but neither my wife nor I have the slightest idea how it got there or what it's for. It consists of a rod, with a slight bend, attached to a plastic handle saying "made in England" but no brand. At the end of the rod is a hexagon which can be set to one of six positions with the wingnut. It is not designed to rotate in use. The metal hexagon has six graded semicircular indents. Of course, it may be a kitchen tool, in which case I'm in the wrong forum. If no-one knows what it is, there ought to be a prize for the most inventive explanation at least! The photo shows the whole tool, with the hexagonal end inset.
Capture.JPG

I would say It's for scraping different diameter rods. Rods on what though, I don't know.

Yes, we thought of a pasta gauge as well - but I think Flying Haggis and Rorschach between them have cracked it. It's surely for scraping the baked-on gunge off oven shelves, which in ours are a grid of chrome rods. The outer frame is a different diameter, hence the different size indents. Every home should have one!
Thanks for your replies, now I can get back to reading more of your fascinating website!
Best wishes and thanks to all,
David

In all the years you've owned it, you've always had something better to do than scrape the oven shelves clean. That's either a sign of a life well lived, or someone who never bakes or roasts!

I have no idea what it is but I don't think you have the answer yet.
When I was a vehicle mechanic I had a similar tool to scrape rust from brake and fuel lines to see how deep the rust had gone but the shaft was straight and the blade was at 90deg to the shaft as would make sense for a tool you are going to pull.

The blade on that tool is at 90deg to the shaft so that makes sense the tool the op has shown the blade is in line with the shaft and the shaft is not straight so I don't think that it is a tool for pulling along anything.
Just my thought as I said I have no idea what it is.

Well I've always used a Brillo pad - that is until we hired Oven Fairy, since when I haven't really thought about it much! And to think this was sitting there all the time . . .

I never realised that these existed, favouring a wire scourer, but now I realise I need one of those. This will be a good ‘afternoon in the garage’ project using a scrap saw-blade and some rod.

I have no idea what it is but I don't think you have the answer yet.
When I was a vehicle mechanic I had a similar tool to scrape rust from brake and fuel lines to see how deep the rust had gone but the shaft was straight and the blade was at 90deg to the shaft as would make sense for a tool you are going to pull.

No really, they have!

You can still buy them at Lakeland

Aidan

I think you've cracked it between y'all. It is a tool to scrape the oven rack gunge off of your spaghetti pasta when you bake same in oven. It's shaped that way cos you have to hold the spaghetti vertically by the end and swipe the tool straight down the pasta. 😂😂😂😂😂

Back