What is stanley #85?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapsod

Established Member
Reaction score
What is Stanley #85?
Is that thing same as Veritas Low-Angle Spokeshave?
From few pictures I have thay look same. :?

rapsod":4te60yd4 said:
What is Stanley #85?
Is that thing same as Veritas Low-Angle Spokeshave?
From few pictures I have thay look same. :?

Totally different animal... The stanley #85 is a scraping plane. Lie-Nielsen makes an updated version, which the staff at our woodworking school around here (Rosewood Studio) likes quite a bit.

Now wait a minute... I think the spokeshaves have their own nomenclature, and they use numbers that are also used by some plane models. So I don't know... :oops:

Anyone care to enlighten us?

DC

The Stanley No. 85 razor edge spoke shave was a wooden spoke shave that resembles the modern day Veritas low angle spoke shave. Here is a picture of one. According to Woodjoy Tools "the #85 was the largest of the STANLEY series of wood body, low angle, RAZOR’S EDGE spoke shaves."

Everything you could possibly want to know about the #85 shave here. Other detailed spokeshave stuff too, for the interested.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1aeh0bzi said:
Everything you could possibly want to know about the #85 shave here. Other detailed spokeshave stuff too, for the interested.

Great link, Alf - never realised there was so much info on axes (I must get out more :oops: )

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1aqpa187 said:
never realised there was so much info on axes (I must get out more :oops: )
I think knowing that much about axes indicates someone wasn't getting out enough... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back