What is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to gauge without seeing if parts are adjustable, but is potentially a slitting tool, veneer edge trimmer or bookbinder's tool. ???

I'm baffled too so my conclusion is that as none of us knows, it's not for woodworking at all, despite having that plane-like place to put your hand and push. It's a bit frustrating too that although there are several photos you can't see all sides of it, for example, to see if there is any wear from something rubbing along the work.

I think the golden rule applies here,"If you can't tell what it's for by looking at it, its a leather working tool" lol

If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic

Looks like the bottom goes in the vice, and something that is to be cut goes up next to the metal front of the handle, and you pull it forward, cutting it on the vertical 'blade'. But that's a lot of tool for such a simple task, so I'll just say I don't know either! It's in pretty good shape though.

Toby

toolsntat":3ttzlnhw said:
I'm pretty sure it is to give an even width to stringing by pulling it through the gap......

Andy

I'd pondered that, but couldn't visualise how it fed. :?

I enlarged and lightened the working side picture to see if I could make it out....

strangething.jpg

My guess is with Hardwood56....a leather trimming tool...perhaps sizing and evening belt leather?

Either that or it is a wood stringing tool similar to the superb one made from a Stanley frog and iron discussed here recently and on my blog.....

Clearly the cutter is the larger metal horn...the smaller closer metal horn is a guide...the wooden horn/plate is the fence and the screws move the blade/guide closer or further from the fence. The tab at the bottom is for fitting in a vise.

That's my take anyway.

Cheers

Jim

But the handle moves fore and aft, and the handle hook looks like you put your fingers in, with your palm on top, and pull towards the cutter.

Toby

TobyC":11u1njnh said:
But the handle moves fore and aft, and the handle hook looks like you put your fingers in, with your palm on top, and pull towards the cutter.

Toby
Then it's probably a Japanese tool Toby!

:D

jimi43":ku9hxa5d said:
I enlarged and lightened the working side picture to see if I could make it out....

strangething.jpg

My guess is with Hardwood56....a leather trimming tool...perhaps sizing and evening belt leather?

Either that or it is a wood stringing tool similar to the superb one made from a Stanley frog and iron discussed here recently and on my blog.....

Clearly the cutter is the larger metal horn...the smaller closer metal horn is a guide...the wooden horn/plate is the fence and the screws move the blade/guide closer or further from the fence. The tab at the bottom is for fitting in a vise.

That's my take anyway.

Cheers

Jim

Since the cutting action is a scrape, it can't be for leather.

It is indeed a stringing thicknesser, and is illustrated on p220 of my Hooper and Wells "Modern Cabinet work, Furniture and Fitments" (the standard cabinet makers' bible, prior to Joyce).

In the text it's called a String Gauge, but the drawing is captioned "A Line Gauge"

BugBear

Seems like it would have a rigid fence with the adjustable cutters, why the sliding handle with such an ample grip?

Toby

bugbear":b1l88dgj said:
It is indeed a stringing thicknesser, and is illustrated on p220 of my Hooper and Wells "Modern Cabinet work, Furniture and Fitments" (the standard cabinet makers' bible, prior to Joyce).

In the text it's called a String Gauge, but the drawing is captioned "A Line Gauge"

BugBear

Well spotted BB!

For anyone without a copy of this excellent work, here it is:

BookReaderImages.php

and you can download a copy as an e-book from here.

Ok Andy...you are not doing anything to dissuade me that the accolade of Professor of Technology, Tools of Yesteryear....is not merited! :mrgreen:

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Anyone going to tell the seller? 8)

Jim

Latest posts

Back