What is it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mittlefehldt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a plane, well don't we all. However this one is causing me no lack of interest just now.

This no 5 has many features of Stanley type 7 and 5, but upon closer examination while similar there are subtle differences. For one thing the lateral adjustment lever engages differently than the equivalent Stanley, also the slot for same is cast differently as is the slot under the lever cap.

The base casting has the more or elss the same pattern to receive the frog of the post 1888 Stanleys but no foundry numbers cast therein.

The knob is the type 5 style that is turned with a ring at the base. The body is 13 1/2 inches not 14, and the No 5 is cast somewhat closer to the knob, than on the pictures of equivalent Stanley's.

The blade is why I am inquiring here as it was made by James Howarth Sheffield england warranted cast steel. The blade is 2 inches wide and fits the plane perfectly.

So does that ring any bells with the seers at UK Workshop.

An aside I bought it assuming it was a Stanley, and since the tote was broken it only cost $2. seven years ago. I found a type 12 1920's Stanley no 5 yesterday and planned on using the tote from that one as it was rosewood, however I started looking closely at type studies and things just don't add up.

Thanks;
James

Hi James. Any chance of a few photos of the plane - this might help some of the resident Galoots with your question. Steve

Back