what is it for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":3q3ok97y said:
Spindle":3q3ok97y said:
Hi

I've seen something like this on one of those programs about pastimes of yesteryear - I think it was played in the north of England but I can't find a reference to the UK game online. However here's a link to the same game as played in Pakistan.

http://www.dostpakistan.pk/gulli-danda/

As it's made of pine I find it hard to believe that it could be any form of percussion tool.
Regards Mick

Mick,
I think the game you refer to is 'Tip-Cat', but the missile for that had sharpened, conical ends.
The idea was to place it on the floor; whack the conical end with a stick, to make the 'tip-cat' jump in the air. Whilst the tip-cat was still spinning, the challenge was to whack it again and send it on its way. Quite difficult in fact. Yes, the link explains the game, so I wasted my typing!!! :mrgreen: When we used to play it, the idea was to see how far you could send the missile. Not unnaturally, it was illegal to play this game in the streets. I suppose the item pictured could be used as a tip-cat, but if it is for a game, then might it be a singleton skittle, from table-skittles? :?: (Nah.. Too long and thin and too soft!)

We used to call this game 'piggy' in Lancashire and it wasn't illegal to play it in the streets, but you had to 'pay for your own china' if a window got broken, mind you I'm probably going back further in time than John is.

Back