What is it called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I believe there is a proper name for this, but I don't know what it is.
On the sole of a bench plane, either side of the blade, there is a couple of mm of steel where the sides of the plane are. So the plane doesn't cut here (this area is absent on an open-sided plane like a rebate plane). Anyone know what this area is called?

Thanks very much.
Cheers
Steve

It is a puzzling question to be sure. One that might have an answer--or may not. Hopefully one of the plane makers who have been on the forum may answer.

Take care, Mike

waterhead37":2tlca7bi said:
The sides?

Ho, ho, ho. :)

At least one person agrees with Matt - I've found a reference on Jeff Gorman's site, and in relation to shooting boards, too, which is what I'm writing about (putting Lateral Margin into Google brings up loads of medical stuff, too).

But I have a nag at the back of my mind that I have heard it referred to as something else. Never mind, lateral margin is as meaningful as anything, I guess!

Thanks, all.
Steve

AndyBoyd":2l8g6233 said:
But Steve, why do you want to know this :?:

curious as well.......I'm heading off next week to K. Holteys i'll ask him if you still havent had an answer.

Ian

AndyBoyd":2w0jo2ak said:
Hmm how curious - off to see the legendary Mr Hotley :-k
just nipping in to see him for some tips :roll:
DSCF0035.jpg

this is my second...

Ian

Steve....apologies on the drive by.....I will ask him the question though....Chris...Martyn....thanks for the comments....i'm 90% of the way to getting what i want just the extra 10% is proving difficult. I want perfection and its still giving me two fingers at the moment but i dont want to give up yet.
I am doing a 14 !/2 panel plane next but i also fancy having a go at a 12" brass sided steel soled dovetailed plane using a LN york frog and blade 2 3/8 wide.

any opinions here would be appreciated

Ian

Steve Maskery":dqbvnlle said:
Hi all,
I believe there is a proper name for this, but I don't know what it is.
On the sole of a bench plane, either side of the blade, there is a couple of mm of steel where the sides of the plane are. So the plane doesn't cut here (this area is absent on an open-sided plane like a rebate plane). Anyone know what this area is called?

Thanks very much.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve -

Would you buy "cheek" ? :?:

It is either side of the mouth... and on Krenov style planes it's a commonly used term....

Cheers -

Rob

Hmmm, well, yes it is either side of the mouth. But cheek conjures up a much bigger area to me. No matter. I'll refer to it as "the bit at the sides the blade doesn't get to"!

Thanks all,

Steve

It is a part of the cheek after all, albeit the bit that I think of as being as 90 degrees to the cheek. No takers for chin I spose? No thought not. :eek:

In issue 170 of Good Woodworking , Ive just noticed that Jeff Gorman refers to it as the lateral margin (at least if I understood what he was saying).

Back