What ideas have you had for reducing Electricity consumption

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a cold call from a pvc window firm I used to start laughing - the situation was, after all, ridiculous. It threw them, obviously. But they'd want to know why I was laughing. Still laughing, I'd explain: "I make wood windows". It seemed a fair exchange.

I quite like the idea of a hay box for slow cooking. I have some rigid wall insulation that should make a well-insulated box. I am just a bit unsure what is the melting point of the insulation I have.
We have a couple of Mr D Thermal Cookers which claim to be the modern equivalent of a haybox. (Think large stainless steel thermos flask).
We used them camping and narrowboating but they are presently saving us electricity or oil (we cook on an induction hob and Rayburn).

I wonder if one of the resident electrical boffins could give us a clue what proportion of the power used on standby is actually used by the light? I doubt it's much.
Very little indeed. The little standby lights are LEDs that consume fractions of a watt and the rest of the standby circuit will consume significantly more.
A few years ago there was a move to make appliances consume less than 1watt on standby including the light so anything relatively modern should be OK.

The first step to reduce sound transmission is to draught proof - sound waves pass through any gap.

4" to 6" spacing ain't at all brilliant for thermal performance though - the internal convection currents see to that.

Other colours are available ... grey's quite nice ...
thank you for your construction advice rox .................I expect that you missed the fact that I am a retired Architect :giggle:

We've started to boil the kettle if pans need washing rather than pulling hot water from the tank, so that'll save water and power by not leaving the pipework full of hot water to go cold. Water rates will go up, they are bound to.
I do the same.
I don't add cold water just use the brush to carefully lift things out of the water. Put the cuttlery in first, near boiling water water on top hooking them out again as quickly as possible before they heat up. Then wash one thing at a time. When the water starts to get a bit cold I start pre washing stuff to get the visible food off it and stack to wash the next day. Next day/time start with the pre washed stuff which does not need to be in the water to long before moving onto the new unwashed stuff before the water cools then just prewash.

Time your activities to benefit from waste heat.

Vacuum clean when you come home not before you go out.
Use the oven slightly latter in the day when you would turn the heating on.

Energy consumption in the home could readily be reduced to (perhaps) ~25% of current levels if we chose to do so. A bold statement - but thinking back to a childhood in the 1950s and 1960s:
  • only the living room in a 3 bed detached house had heating (coal then gas)
  • single glazed throughout - frost on inside of the windows in winter
  • no cavity wall insulation - many older properties would have been solid walls
  • one central ceiling lamp in each room
  • one bathroom not three
  • washday one a week, not every day in the automatic washing machine
  • clothes worn for several days before washing - before the advent of deodorants
  • no tumble dryer - washing lines ruled
  • fridges still a rarity. No second freezers in the garage
  • blankets on the bed, thermals, woolies (not the shop) etc were standard issue
Technological improvements would make a typical house of the 1950s less challenging - cavity wall insulation, double glazing, led lighting etc.

Energy makes us comfortable - we enjoy its consumption, not the cost. I am not proposing a return to the 1950s, but it was the norm, how most expected to live, not a pit of deprivation.

We are simply profligate with energy because we can afford to be, and we enjoy it!

We have greatly reduced our energy consumption with uPVC, led lights, combi boilers and yet the cost of fuel increases?

And when we get renewable energy and the cost remains the same. Due to it being pegged to the source of last resort!

We have greatly reduced our energy consumption with uPVC, led lights, combi boilers and yet the cost of fuel increases?

And when we get renewable energy and the cost remains the same. Due to it being pegged to the source of last resort!
Sorry James i thought Bradford was in Yorkshire not off world somewhere 😂😂😂

• one bathroom not three
  • clothes worn for several days before washing - before the advent of deodorants
This describes me to a T,

2 bed, 1800's semi cottage thing, wood burner when it gets cold, immersion on for 1/2 hour + I've stopped doing the hoovering now, all stone & wood floors, broom....

Our electricity was 11p at night, 17p by day, standing charge 23p iirc. After my lad died (March) coming into warmer weather (electric water heating) we cut the bill from £135 a month to not much over the £100. It's now 29p (single rate, no more e7) and 49p standing charge and our last bill (today) is £120. That's with no electric heating. A new fridge freezer and a Ninja Foodi - we haven't done bad.

Just bought a new freezer.
I put one of the energy monitors on our old freezer and I have to admit I was shocked.

It never turned off and was always running, so guessing it never got cold enough. Did some calculations and it worked out at approx. 1500kwh a year.

New freezer is projected to cost 300kwh a year.

Guess it did well for being 20+ years old
Great post as Ive been looking at our built in freezer which must be at least 25yrs old and which always seems to be vibrating away,,time to get a meter thing but will probably buy a new one anyway,,,
Thanks for the heads up,,
Steve

Energy consumption in the home could readily be reduced to (perhaps) ~25% of current levels if we chose to do so. A bold statement - but thinking back to a childhood in the 1950s and 1960s:
  • one bathroom not three
Technological improvements would make a typical house of the 1950s less challenging - cavity wall insulation, double glazing, led lighting etc.

Energy makes us comfortable - we enjoy its consumption, not the cost. I am not proposing a return to the 1950s, but it was the norm, how most expected to live, not a pit of deprivation.

We are simply profligate with energy because we can afford to be, and we enjoy it!
or...live in a cave

Going to have a go at cooking stuff in an a cast iron pot on top of the Woodburner this winter.
I already do my coffee on it in a moka pot.

Apparently baked potatos work well and also various breads too. Should be worth a try.

Already got rid of a second freezer we had in the garage. All my lights are already LED.
I even considered getting a little solar generator thingy just to charge all the phones and tablets.

Ps. Just a quick note about the triple glazing and sound reduction. A double (or even single pane ) unit with accoustic laminate is very much superior for this purpose.

Ollie

Last edited:
Going to have a go at cooking stuff in an a cast iron pot on top of the Woodburner this winter.
I do that if I have the wood burner running, but that is not often. I am far too lazy to handle all that firewood.

When the burner is going I keep a pan or two of water on the top. It is surprising how often that saves using the kettle or drawing water from the hot tap.

Our electricity was 11p at night, 17p by day, standing charge 23p iirc. After my lad died (March) coming into warmer weather (electric water heating) we cut the bill from £135 a month to not much over the £100. It's now 29p (single rate, no more e7) and 49p standing charge and our last bill (today) is £120. That's with no electric heating. A new fridge freezer and a Ninja Foodi - we haven't done bad.
Phil, how do you get on with your Ninja Foodi? My wife and I have been discussing whether to get one. A local family have one for sale secondhand but almost new. They freely admit they don’t use it and don’t really get on with it. There are several components to this. First is the cost. They are asking £200 for a model that was £260. Yes, proportionately it is a bargain, relatively speaking, but how much electricity will you need to save to get even some of your money back - it has a 1700W heater element in it. Granted, a bit different to a 3Kw Oven. Yes it seems versatile, but it won’t cook a (say) roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg all in one go. So you will still be using other cooking “elements “, microwave probably. We are still sitting on the fence I suppose, but would like to hear your, and anyone else for that matter, opinion. Will they become the latest must have gadget used twice and slung in the cupboard never again to see the light of day? Thanks for your views.

Buy a Ninja Foodi 15 - 1. Cuts your electricity consumption by miles.
I did buy the 15-in-1 based on an earlier post by you, Phil. Fantastic for cooking roasts. Have not really tried it for much else as it is a big beast and a bit cumbersome to move from where it is stored to where it is used. The traditional oven is still much more convenient although I am thinking about also buying the Ninja Dual Zone Air Fryer. I think the drawers would make this far more convenient to use for the everyday meals and snacks. Very true about how much more efficient they are, though, with an estimated 75% energy saving as against the traditional oven. I can see these appliances making the cooker fan ovens obsolete, which has me asking the question as to whether I should even keep the range cooker or simply replace it with kitchen units and a gas hob?

Phil, how do you get on with your Ninja Foodi? My wife and I have been discussing whether to get one. A local family have one for sale secondhand but almost new. They freely admit they don’t use it and don’t really get on with it. There are several components to this. First is the cost. They are asking £200 for a model that was £260. Yes, proportionately it is a bargain, relatively speaking, but how much electricity will you need to save to get even some of your money back - it has a 1700W heater element in it. Granted, a bit different to a 3Kw Oven. Yes it seems versatile, but it won’t cook a (say) roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg all in one go. So you will still be using other cooking “elements “, microwave probably. We are still sitting on the fence I suppose, but would like to hear your, and anyone else for that matter, opinion. Will they become the latest must have gadget used twice and slung in the cupboard never again to see the light of day? Thanks for your views.
The 15-in-1 model incorporates a pressure cooker which cuts down cooking time enormously. Also, the machine works out cooking time based on what the probe sensor tells it, which means perfect cooked meats every time. I still steam veggies on the hob, though. You can still buy the 15-in-1 for £249 brand new (at least, that is what I paid less than a month ago) so I am not sure I would buy a used one to save £49 (unless it also comes with the extras such as the silicon thingy for lifting cooked meats out easily and the baking trays, I suppose. These did cost a few quid extra).

Latest posts

Back