What (heavy) wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leisurefix

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finally finished a bowl that has been work in progress for quite some time. The new paper cartridge for the dust extractor and the Abranet has made the process much less onerous, and the Chestnut buffing system (xmas present) gives a great finish.
2015-01-04 20.49.51.jpg

I am hoping that you can help about what type of wood it is. The wood is very heavy and close grained, but does cut reasonably easy. The finish has not really changed the colour. Any ideas?
Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• 2015-01-04 20.49.51.jpg
    2015-01-04 20.49.51.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,426
What's the end grain look like Andy? Can't really see anything distinctive in this shot that is recognizable.

Thanks, I only have one other picture at the moment:
2015-01-04 20.51.08.jpg

I have not done much with Birch, but have used a bit of Silver Birch which was close grained but not this heavy. The bark is also very different.
This wood cuts very cleanly, with very sharp tools, there was no tear out at all. Really nice timber to turn actually.
Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• 2015-01-04 20.51.08.jpg
    2015-01-04 20.51.08.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,309
Got me, I can usually recognize most UK timbers but this one doesn't ring any bells at all. Looks a little like Sycamore inside, but the bark is out of kilter with that. I'd also go with Woodmonkey on Birch, old Birch trees can have some very fissured bark.

When I saw it last night I was puzzled. Still am. What size is it? just wondered if it could be a fruit wood (heavy).

+1 for fruitwood. My first guess would be apple.

Hornbeam bark tends to be smoother than that - more like elm and the timber's usually whiter IME.

Jon

The inside reminds me very much of the look i got from some Mountain Ash... (Rowan) But the bark doesn't look quite right..but then if its an older example, the bark does look different to what I have.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I dont know hornbeam at all, but will look that up, the bowl is about 8inch diameter. The very gentle curve of the bark implies the tree was large. I would agree with a fruit wood if it were not for the weight. It really is heavy, a friend commented it's almost as heavy as lignum vitae. Potentially the wood is exotic, although it did grow in the UK, I think it came from Ashton Court estate, in Bristol.
Andy.

Back