What happened to my Danish oil????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

recently I brought some lberon danish oil , and decanted a few fl.ounces into a seperate container (glass jar) and kept it for use in the shop ( as you would :lol: ) in a closed cupboard..
I have used this oil on a couple of projects, and it worked as expected, but now its gone a cloudy colour and turned to a gel like state, so the questions are:

1. have I contaminated the oil , causing it to go off?
2. Is it generally affected by sunlight, in its stored form?
3. Does excessive heat cause it to go off?
4. What else could it possibly be?

1. I used the same brush over several applications/projects washing the brush in white spirit, and letting it dry overnight..

2. the oil is kept in a jar airtight in an old kitchen wall cupboard with doors, so I guess its pretty much in a darkened enviroment...

3. It does get pretty bloody hot in my shop, enough to cause a sweat just walking through the doors some days......

4. Anyone got any more possibilites that could cause this, as Im fairly new to this danish oil stuff.....

sounds like my shop - ive got some a few years old in clear plastic bottles.

still clear and ok - in heat / cold and sunlight.

so that leaves oxidation for opening and closing the jar.

contamination from the brush

have you tried using it on some scrap ? it still might be ok to use even tho its cloudy

Tusses, that was my next step, trying it on a piece of scrap, but like I said its more of a gel now than an oil, may try wiping it on with a clean rag and see what happens then..

I tend to use Rustins DO. Once its been opened it does not last long, the solids tend to settle to the bottom of the can and the liquid thats left is thinner, does not dry as fast and does not build a shin.

I now buy enough for the job in hand and get new for the next one.

Have heard that its the air in the can that causes the problem so a jam jar half full will have quite a bit of air.

Jason

Next time try filling part used Jars/Tins with marbles or clean pebbles to keep the air pocket as small as possible.

cheers fellas,
so its basically simple air contamination.....solution either smaller jars keeping as little free space as possible or as CHJ suggests adding marbles to expel the air/free space..

Back